• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New speedo cable. Lube needed? New question, SEE POST 14.

Nismobishi

Local time
1:50 AM
Reaction score
Hello,
I just bought the speedometer cable in the picture below from VansAuto on Ebay. It's for my 65 Satellite that has a push button trans.
Do I need to lube it? If so, how?

Screenshot_20230929_151434_Chrome.jpg

Pull the core out and lube it with some designed speedo cable lube.

Pull the core out and lube it with some designed speedo cable lube.
What I have on hand is white lithium grease, Graphite powder, auto trans fluid, clp spray, and PB Blaster. Will any of those work?

No lithium grease! Get some "Lock-Ease" from a locksmith or an Ace Hardware and use that.
It has Graphite in it and a very light oil. Works great.

I worked at a GM dealer for a decade and a half. Their preferred speedo cable lube was white lithium. I used powdered graphite but the core was new and dry.

What I have on hand is white lithium grease, Graphite powder, auto trans fluid, clp spray, and PB Blaster. Will any of those work?
Myself I would go to a parts store and buy a tube. Will the others work. I suppose. I just prefer to use what it is designed for.

Got any white Lithium in a spray can? Throw it away immediately! It gets hard as a rock as it ages a bit.

the white lithium in a tube is OK.

Thanks for all the responses! I think I will go with the KY:) but really, my white lithium is in a tube, not spray so I may just use that.

On second thought, this cable was expensive and I have ACE rewards to use. I will go get some lock ease!

On another note,
With my speedo cable unhooked, the needle sits at 40mph. Anyone know how I can fix this?

Well,
I just took the cable out of the package and it is already lubed:) The core has a light coating of a clearish looking grease all the way through:)

Also,
About my issue on post #14, I took out the speedometer and I found that there is a little round spring and the stopper had slipped causing it to sit at 40mph instead of 0mph. I slid the stopper back around and its all fixed:)

Auto Transport Service
Back