• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Stainless gas tank/68 GTX

zyzzyx

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:10 AM
Reaction score
So I was trying to install my new tank today and ran into a few wrinkles. First of all,
do I have to have the bumper off to install the new filler neck? Looks like it! Secondly,
Do I really have to "cave in" the seams on the front and back of the tank so the straps
actually get close to the "J" bolts? I don't have the old tank anymore so I can't measure
or use it to compare. Thanks for the help!

Do I really have to "cave in" the seams on the front and back of the tank so the straps actually get close to the "J" bolts?
No... not any more than it should have come from the manufacturer anyhow, with just enough bent to locate the straps.

beerestoration2018 238.JPG
beerestoration2018 239.JPG

beerestoration2018 234.JPG

As for the filler neck, I had my bumper off... but others here have been successful with it in place. You may want your licence plate bracket removed though .

Yeah, my stock bolts and stock straps. I'll try again tomorrow! Just figured I'd ask before getting the floor jack and
the sledge hammer out! I have the tank held up with a ratchet strap going across the bottom side to side to the
holes in the frame rail. The 1/8" rubber pad is brand new also. Thanks Guys!

No, bumper removal is not needed. Yes, slight tweaking of tank flanges may be needed.
Filler neck is a pain in the arse on the removal end of the old one, but you've got that whipped
already apparently.

Yeah, I got it! Thanks DadsBee for the pic's. I did have to use the floor jack and a 5lb. BFH
to get it sasheyed around to get the nuts started with the help of alot of swear words! I wiped
the darned thing off with WD-40 and now I need sunglasses to look at it. I'm not building a
show car, but hey Dat Ting looks Nice!
20211115_120717.jpg
20211117_111237.jpg
20211117_145303.jpg
20211117_145404.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back