• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to forum - question about suspension torque

Drunner

Local time
5:23 PM
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 71 roadrunner that I have rebuilt the suspension on but have heard that the suspension should be under load when torquing the bolt/nuts to spec? Is this correct and if so for all components or just specific ones? I'm specifically concerned with ball joints, tie rods, center link, control arms,etc.

Welcome to the site! Most anything with a bushing in it is best tightened up at ride height. Ball joints, tie rods, center link won`t matter to much but control arms with bushings are best tightened up with the car sitting. Bushings will twist inside putting extra stress on them. Hope that makes sense...

Welcome to FBBO from NorCal

Welcome to FBBO. The MIT for Mopars. Glad You joined and look forward to seeing you around the forum.

Welcome to the forum lets see some pics of your car

Great, thanks for the info

Welcome to the site! Most anything with a bushing in it is best tightened up at ride height. Ball joints, tie rods, center link won`t matter to much but control arms with bushings are best tightened up with the car sitting. Bushings will twist inside putting extra stress on them. Hope that makes sense...

i appreciate the info, some of the manuals I had referenced were not very clear.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, glad to be hear. I love the early 60's mopar too. I learned to drive on a 64 Fury push button tranny.

Auto Transport Service
Back