• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie question: What Type Of Power STeering Pump Is My 70 RR supposed to have?

soundhd

Local time
5:41 AM
Reaction score
Recently purchased a 70 RR (383; auto; A/C; PS; PB)
Need to replace the power steering pump (I trashed it trying to get the pulley off...don't ask....been a bad day today for this Mopar newbie).
Anyway the 70 Mopar Service Manual (Belvedere/Fury/Barracuda/Valiant) I bought show two types; a .94 and a 1.06 (all the parts catalogs & Mopar parts site refer to the pumps as a Saginaw and a Federal. My car came with a 1.06 (Federal)....(been finding other parts on it that are the right parts....)
First question is to double check which type my RR is supposed to have....all lists/charts I have seen say a 383 is supposed to have a .94 type (Saginaw).
So since I need to get a replacement (with a pulley) and really cannot find a Federal (1.06) anywhere (two repro catalogs houses I called said if I ordered it and if it is still available it could take up to 3 months) and IF my RR is supposed to have a Saginaw type, looks like Saginaw will be easier to find.....
So my other question is if I change over to a Saginaw type what all will I also have to change? Will the hoses I have now fit? How about the mounting brackets? Assume the belt will need to be changed also....I assume it will work with my current power steering box?
Sorry for all the questions..just trying to see what my options are but just want to get it right the first time........

thanks
A Mopar newbie in Michigan

I just went through this putting power steering on my 70 Roadrunner (came manual & I have to parallel part in tight spots in Chicago). Anyway.... from what I understand your car could come with EITHER Saginaw or Chrysler pump. If yours is the one where the pulley is a 3-spoke (not solid pulley) then it's a Saginaw & you can buy a lifetime warranty rebuilt one for $60 at AutoZone. The expensive part is the pulley (sorry). Bouchillon has them for about $85 http://bouchillonperformance.com/BPEpulleys.asp OR you can pull one off of any other Chrysler Saginaw pump you can find (like I did). You can use a pulley puller (FREE "rent-a-tool") at AutoZone that will work. Good Luck Brother!

Is your RR a A/C Car? That seems to be the problem......as for the pulley....the Federal pump that is (or was...) on the car has (had) a 3 spoke pulley......
My problem right now is that no one seems have a pulley for a Federal pump.....I can find a Federal pump but no pulley......Saginaw pumps are more available (along with the pulleys) but mounting brackets for a BB with A/C seem to be hard to find......just trying to find someone with a 70 RR with A/C to see which type pump they have........

thanks for the info though

I just went through this putting power steering on my 70 Roadrunner (came manual & I have to parallel part in tight spots in Chicago). Anyway.... from what I understand your car could come with EITHER Saginaw or Chrysler pump. If yours is the one where the pulley is a 3-spoke (not solid pulley) then it's a Saginaw & you can buy a lifetime warranty rebuilt one for $60 at AutoZone. The expensive part is the pulley (sorry). Bouchillon has them for about $85 http://bouchillonperformance.com/BPEpulleys.asp OR you can pull one off of any other Chrysler Saginaw pump you can find (like I did). You can use a pulley puller (FREE "rent-a-tool") at AutoZone that will work. Good Luck Brother!

Here's a couple pics that might help.... "looks" like the one I put in mine (Saginaw). I'm not sure about this A/C compressor though. This is a 70 Roadrunner 383 A/C car

70 RR Under Hood AC Car 1.jpg

70 RR Under Hood AC Car 2.jpg

I have a 70 GTX 440-4. It has the 3 spoke Saginaw style pulley. I'm confident that it is original.

Stear Clear of this place.You might get your parts but the odds are really good you wont.

Ive been dealing with them for over a year bought lots of parts and only one part was late due to back order.
BTW it's steer not stear!

If your GTX has A/C could you post a close up photo of how the Saginaw type PS pump mounts? Not sure if the mounting is different with a A/C car vs a non A/C car...
thanks

I have a 70 GTX 440-4. It has the 3 spoke Saginaw style pulley. I'm confident that it is original.

I e-mailed you some pics but will post some here too.
With and without A/C.

Attachments

• brackets 71 383 ac 5.jpg
    brackets 71 383 ac 5.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 542
  • 1100 (8).jpg
    1100 (8).jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 298
Thanks, a photo is worth a thousand words.........at least to us slow typers.....LOL

everything is sort making sense now.....one other question.....the bolt kits for the ps pump has a couple bolts with threads at each end....what are those for?

thanks again

1091513b_zps6677c0bd.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back