• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

newer power steering pump on a '62?

icetech

Local time
3:31 AM
Reaction score
So.. quick question.. i have a '62, pulled the poly and put in a LA 318 but didn't know bout the different water pump that the '62 steering pump mounts to, already got a radiator with the bottom on the passenger side so i was going to make a mount for the '62 pump, i was just curious if it might be easier using a newer 318 pump? Any chance the hoses are the same? Just wondering if there is a easier option before i go through this...

No rush.. someone stole my seats so the car is kinda on the verge of being left to sit for a long time til i figure out what i want to do with it now. Keeping the stock bench/pushbutton was my goal when i got it.. hate putting in a after market bucket :(

Other option i'm considering is just going manual steering but would be nice to keep the power..

hmm.. kinda surprised this has never come up before, will have to figure it out :)

You should be able to find a newer pump pretty easily.
They made millions of small blocks in the LA style.

You should be able to find a newer pump pretty easily.
They made millions of small blocks in the LA style.
Well yeah, i was just curious if the hose connections are the same or if there are any major issues doing this?

Your power steering box likely has the larger 5/8" return hose, and most of the newer pumps have a smaller one. You will need to get the smaller inlet block from a newer steering box to complete this conversion. The placement of this block on the box affects how it works, so be careful to get it back on the same footprint of the original.

Your power steering box likely has the larger 5/8" return hose, and most of the newer pumps have a smaller one. You will need to get the smaller inlet block from a newer steering box to complete this conversion. The placement of this block on the box affects how it works, so be careful to get it back on the same footprint of the original.
Ah thanks dave.. should make life a bit easier.. i did read bout the block (i think) how moving it one way or the other will make the steering turn on it's own?

moving it one way or the other will make the steering turn on it's own?
Yes, it is kinda touchy. As said, mark and locate the same spot. You may be dead on or have to adjust some.
Simple forward/aft movement.

Yes, it is kinda touchy. As said, mark and locate the same spot. You may be dead on or have to adjust some.
Simple forward/aft movement.
And don't hold the wheel on the inside spokes when you first start the car.
It can possibly spin the wheel right or left very quickly and hard.

or do what im doing ... stay with the poly .... (bragging just a bit)
IMG_20231221_154139.jpg

or do what im doing ... stay with the poly .... (bragging just a bit)
View attachment 1580202

I honestly wish i could have, if you saw the inside of my poly you would understand, one of the most sludged motors i have ever seen, and then sat for 45 years, it was like cement. When i pulled the intake i couldn't even tell the oil drive gear was a gear.. was that bad

I honestly wish i could have, if you saw the inside of my poly you would understand, one of the most sludged motors i have ever seen, and then sat for 45 years, it was like cement. When i pulled the intake i couldn't even tell the oil drive gear was a gear.. was that bad
that sucks... i got a 413 like that up here... broke my hart. nothing usable

that sucks... i got a 413 like that up here... broke my hart. nothing usable
Well.. the 413 would probably be worth having a machine shop hottank and all that.. a poly though, i weighed the options and figured a normal LA would be better to build. I went full stupid though :(

Well.. the 413 would probably be worth having a machine shop hottank and all that.. a poly though, i weighed the options and figured a normal LA would be better to build. I went full stupid though :(
naw dude .... its done .... lol. i don't see how swapping a LA into her is stupid tho. quick easy weekend swap. if ya got all the parts.

Ah thanks dave.. should make life a bit easier.. i did read bout the block (i think) how moving it one way or the other will make the steering turn on it's own?
The actual piece with the pipe nipple does not affect anything . It's the larger block that it attaches to , that you don't want to mess with.

The actual piece with the pipe nipple does not affect anything . It's the larger block that it attaches to , that you don't want to mess with.
ya .. messing with the spool valve is a bad idea...

hay ... can you post a pic of your PS pump and brackets from the poly??

hay ... can you post a pic of your PS pump and brackets from the poly??
This is a random pic... it basically hangs off a ear on the water pump that newer model pumps don't have
1703763310810.jpeg

naw dude .... its done .... lol. i don't see how swapping a LA into her is stupid tho. quick easy weekend swap. if ya got all the parts.
Naw, the stupid is the trick flow heads, roller cam.. edelbrock intake.. i could have bought a 440+ trans for 1/3 that i have into a 318 :) I wanted to keep the pushbutton trans.. the funny part is that now i have a BB pushbutton trans sitting in my garage too. Never owned a small block before, so will be fun to play with.

Naw, the stupid is the trick flow heads, roller cam.. edelbrock intake.. i could have bought a 440+ trans for 1/3 that i have into a 318 :) I wanted to keep the pushbutton trans.. the funny part is that now i have a BB pushbutton trans sitting in my garage too. Never owned a small block before, so will be fun to play with.
3b39bbb5b7db5ad1.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back