• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No lights

Aron Gleason

Local time
12:12 AM
Reaction score
Once again within a week I blew another fuse for the taillights, brake lights. I also don't have dash lights or running lights. I did notice when my high beams were on, I shut them off and that's when I noticed I lost my lights. Could that be a issue with the dimmer switch or headlight switch? All my grounds are good. 67 coronet.

check your your dimmer switch and wiring for sure as well as your headlight switch. I’ve seen more than one dimmer switch partially melted at the base where the harness attaches. That’s caused by high resistance connections in the circuit.

Ok thank you for the quick response. I've never had this issue until last week, and I've owned the car 33 years. I did add one more autometer gauge. I have all my lights into a distribution block and then one wire goes to the fuse to power the lights.

I should mention I do have headlights, but also no high beams.. and no brake lights.

check your your dimmer switch and wiring for sure as well as your headlight switch. I’ve seen more than one dimmer switch partially melted at the base where the harness attaches. That’s caused by high resistance connections in the circuit.
Rust under the floor switch...or even a bad/melted/loose connector on that foot switch.

ever drive and have like a plastic burning smell ?

My satellite did that. Then I replaced the switch because it was melted along with a headlight relay kit since then no problem at all

My satellite did that. Then I replaced the switch because it was melted along with a headlight relay kit since

My satellite did that. Then I replaced the switch because it was melted along with a headlight relay kit since then no problem at all
No burning plastic smell. This is the first time in 33 years I've had this problem. It just happened all of a sudden. I'm going to replace the dimmer switch.

Check the wiring ls mine was actually melted together that’s why it blew fuses

Well I checked all the wiring, everything looked good. I double checked to make sure I had all my lights working. All my interior lights dim when I turn the headlight switch to the right. Put in the new dimmer switch. And still have all my lights working. Knock on wood that was the problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back