• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Non-Political Any handgun owners have one of these? Springfield Hellcat 9mm subcompact

biomedtechguy

Accelerati Rapidus Maximus
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:32 PM
Reaction score
I really like my Ruger LCP II w/integrated Viridian red laser. It's a "short 9mm" aka .380 but "only" holds 6+1 in the chamber. Safety on trigger.
Compact size is my #1 consideration, but certainly not the only consideration.
If it is not "invisible" in my pocket for example, nothing else matters, because I won't be able to carry it where I want to. I have another handgun that is in that category, in that it is concealable, but there's a chance it would be seen.
I still have to compare sizes between the Springfield and my Ruger, but at 13+1 (extended mag) or 11+1 (standard mag) it basically DOUBLES the capacity.
The muzzle rise compensator is nice and really helps keep the weapon on target for quick follow-up shots. I'm used to that with my other handgun being renowned for having almost no recoil. The holo red dot sight co-locates the "iron" sites which in and of themselves are nicely contrasted with the target and background.

https://www.impactguns.com/semi-aut...nsator-black-11rd-13rd-spgrdp-hc9389btospwasp

Rural king had a deal on these, I want to say a Year ago?? I went to buy one and I did not like the "heel" safety on the back of the grip.. My Colt defender has one and my hand just isn't built for them

Last edited:
I did not like the "heel" safety on the back of the grip..
My understanding is the safety is optional. Also, this model has an upgraded (new and improved) trigger.
Is this the safety mech that you are calling a "heel" safety? Springfield calls this a "thumb" safety:
Screenshot_20210301-192209_Chrome.jpg

I have a Springfield Armory XD-S single stack 9mm and an older Ruger LC9. The Ruger is more concealable but the XDS is my go to.

I've been debating on a Hellcat since they came out. It's not a pocket gun, unless you have large pockets. It's about the size of the Shield series. Cari has the 380 Shield EZ and it's somewhat comparable.
I've got an LCP and an SR9c. The Hellcat is smaller and a lot lighter than the SR9c but bigger and slightly heavier than the LCP.
I've done some upgrades to my SR9c and not sure I really want that replaced just yet. The LCP is nice as a pocket pistol. That's about a far as that goes tho.

I've been debating on a Hellcat since they came out. It's not a pocket gun, unless you have large pockets. It's about the size of the Shield series. Cari has the 380 Shield EZ and it's somewhat comparable.
I've got an LCP and an SR9c. The Hellcat is smaller and a lot lighter than the SR9c but bigger and slightly heavier than the LCP.
I've done some upgrades to my SR9c and not sure I really want that replaced just yet. The LCP is nice as a pocket pistol. That's about a far as that goes tho.
I have the Shield 45 and my wife has the 9mm. The hellcat is thicker than the Shield, and I can't conceal the Shield in my pocket.

I have a 1918 32 owl head that slips into a regular blue jean pocket rather nicely, nice little pistol.

I have a 1918 32 owl head that slips into a regular blue jean pocket rather nicely, nice little pistol.
Can you post a picture of that gun? Does it split at the barrel and fold down to load?

I have a Hellcat as a console gun as it is pretty fat to carry and my gut is too big to front carry. I use a Ruger LC9 for that. In purple. It is not easy to conceal much in South Florida simply because it is hot, humid, which equates to not much clothing.

Looking at the pic of the Hellcat it appears it isn't conducive to pocket carry due to the holo sight on top. Seems it would hang up when trying to get it out in a hurry.
You could get an extended mag for the Ruger but IMO you would have the same problem.
I decided to carry an extra mag for my EC9s for that reason.
Besides, if you need more rounds than 7 you might be in too deep.
Nice to have and not need, though.

Looking at the pic of the Hellcat it appears it isn't conducive to pocket carry due to the holo sight on top. Seems it would hang up when trying to get it out in a hurry.
You could get an extended mag for the Ruger but IMO you would have the same problem.
I decided to carry an extra mag for my EC9s for that reason.
Besides, if you need more rounds than 7 you might be in too deep.
Nice to have and not need, though.
The Hellcat is as big as a Glock 42, and that prints big time. Not a real pocket gun. Maybe the pocket in your backpack...

If you haven't put your hands on one you may want to hold one first, I didn't like the feel at all. My wife carries the Springfield XDS and I'd gladly trade my SIG for it, excellent gun but the Hellcat is extremely uncomfortable to me and I don't remember it being smaller if so barely. The trigger is what was extremely uncomfortable, it points forward at a weird angle making my finger catch the end instead of laying in the radius... Don't buy one until you feel one out.
I have the Shield 45 and my wife has the 9mm. The hellcat is thicker than the Shield, and I can't conceal the Shield in my pocket.
The Shield has a really nice feel and trigger, it would be one of my top picks.

Last edited:
The Hellcat is totally concealable, I do it every day.

Copy of 1118201847.jpg

IWB with an Alien Gear holster, I can disappear it with lightweight nylon cargo shorts and an NBA tank-top when I ride my mountain bike, or in my normal work clothing (slacks and oxford shirt). 13+1 everyday. I swapped the factory U-notch rear sight for a Trijicon HD night sight, to match the factory front night sight, and I've added the Olight green laser with LED tac light as you can see in the photo.

There is NO grip safety on the Hellcat. Mine is a "gen 1", I guess, now that they have the new RDP model (gen2 trigger, available ambi-thumb safety a la 1911, and threaded barrel w/compensator). They can be had with, or without, a slide cut for a red dot - I chose the laser since you don't need a traditional sight picture with the laser. Place dot, pull trigger, make hole.

My old EDC was an XD-s Mod.1 (waffle grip) 9mm - the XD family DOES have the grip safety, but the Hellcat does not. The Hellcat has the bladed trigger, and an internal pin block, but no manual trigger unless you opt for it on the new RDP model. I do not have the compensator, and the gun is extremely manageable. I can dump a mag into an 8" plate at 10 yards, in well under 10 seconds. I haven't timed it, but I can keep on target at around 2 rounds per second.

I have XL hands, and I love the Hellcat. The grip is more "square" than my XD-s which is long and thin...but I think the circumference is about the same and I have excellent control without the gun feeling "small"...but it is totally concealable for me at 6'4" and 200lbs. It is only 1" thick (my XD-s is 0.8"), which simply cannot be beat considering the capacity. It also weighs (full mag to full mag) LESS than my XD-s. Noticeably less. I don't have much "padding" to hide it, but it doesn't print even in shorts and a tee shirt. I've been extremely happy with it.

I have not shot or held a Hellcat but if it is in the same size range as a Glock 43 it will be hard to pocket carry and retrieve easy. I have tried several holsters and am trying a dinosaurized shoulder / belly holster dont yet have a opinion. I have a carbon fiber waist holster and it will pinch the crap out of a chubby guy like me.

If you want to pocket carry a Hellcat, you probably can in slacks (not jeans)...but you'll need grip wraps. The grips on it are GRABBY, and I can guarantee they'll catch on pocket liners on the way out.

Personally, with all the IWB holsters out there these days (leather, hybrid, kydex, IWB, AIWB, SOB...) I see no reason not to attach it to a waistband instead of letting it rattle around in a pocket. You can get a decent IWB holster starting around $40, you know exactly where it is, and what orientation it's in.

I like this Springfield XD .40cal S&W
among others
I no longer have
Budnicks Gun Springfield XD .40 cal. S&W semi auto double action pistol.jpg

or something like these, proven firearms
1911 .45acp variations many different calibers available
9mm, 10mm, .45acp, .40cal S&W
you can modify them to have ambidextrous thumb safety to
even lightweight versions
some I wish I still had
Gun Colt Compact Commander 1911A1.jpg

stock photo