• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Noob paint strip question for underside of hood

kllrbee

Local time
3:37 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Ive been stripping the paint off of the underside of my stock 69 coronet hood. I hope this doesnt sound too dumb, but what is the best way to go about getting into all the tight creases and crevices? Ive used aircraft stripper, scrapers/razors, wirebrush, rapid strip wheel (one that goes into drill), and good old sandpaper. It just seems to be taking froever to get into all those tight places. Any recomendations on what else to do? Or do I just need to continue what Im doing and be patient?
Thanks

I like a 90 degree angle die grinder with a roll-lok head and a variety of the abrasive roll-lock pads for these tight little areas.

that is, if you don't have or don't feel like using the media blaster.

:grin:

The media blaster is your best option.

The second best option, I have found is patience and a stripper disc on a 4-1/2 grinder. The ones I use are $9 from Lowes and screw right on the grinder.

Randy

Yeah, I should have mentioned I dont have blasting equipment. I do have a 60 gallon air compressor, but none of the blasting stuff. Plus, Ive never blasted before and Ive heard if you dont know what your doing, It can be more of a PITA than its worth.

I was looking at those angle grinder stripper discs and pads at home depot and was wondring if they would work. I guess they will. Thanks for the clarification. Im going to go get some tonite.

Alright! First question posted on the forum is a success!!!

Thanks again guys!

For the chits, and for the giggles... I'll post up a couple links to get you into a very compact tool and an affordable roll lok type pad. you can go with 2" or 3" diameter.

(this is what I use for stripping tricky areas without blasting)

This page, second item from the top.

http://www.smartshoppersinc.com/astro-airtools/astro-airtools.html

Then this page, 3/4 down the page look for Astro Pneumatic Roloc Surface Prep Pad Discs, down from that are the roloc sanding discs, down from that are the roloc holders

http://www.smartshoppersinc.com/sandpaper/indasa_Sandpaper.html

stripper

Be careful with that stripper getting in the cracks ,or you will be sorry later.
Don't ask me how I know. Wipe it down with some lacquer thinner after you scrape it off the panel. TIP: brush it on with as few strokes as needed. The more you brush, the more the paint eating solvents evaporate. Then cover panel with a sheet of plastic. Check your paint store. this will also keep the good stuff from drying out before it can eat into the paint.

I have a buddy with a commercial Soda blaster, I don't even jack with trying to sand those tedious small areas, plus anymore it seems sanding materials are so expensive that your gonna save a ton of manual labor and material costs just have it soda blasted, good thing with soda is it just turns to dust after it hits the surface so you don't have the media rolling around in the inner structure of the hood, Do yourself a favor!

The last poster beat me to the punch. He's absolutely correct. Look for somebody that does soda blasting in your area. You'll be glad you did.The chemicals stay in the crevices & the blast media sticks in there, too.. I know, I've done it all, & I would only do soda for that type of job.

I use various sizes of brass wire wheels and rose buds on a drill and angle grinder. They are only about $1.00 and don't leave any crud behind that will mess up the paint later.

Auto Transport Service
Back