• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NOS pcv valves 1969 and earlier V8 cars . a comparison

gtx6970

Local time
6:27 AM
Reaction score
For those wanting the OE style PCV valves for the 69 and earlier cars.
I recently picked up some NOS Mopar PCV valves. And decided to to do some comparison photos.
On the left is NOS Mopar OE pt #2808622 and on the right is an Atlas V-48.
For the most part they are identical. With 2 exceptions. The OE valve is maybe an 1/8 to 3/16" shorter in height. And the OE valve the markings are stamped ever so slightly deeper. But otherwise are the same exact markings . Even the hex barrel length is the same, threads are same. Only difference is the length of the tube before it makes its bend .
So it gives you options when looking for the correct PCV valves for the earlier cars. Which are getting harder and harder to find . I have multiple cars that use it . So I decided to stock away some extras. And between the 2 part numbers I have maybe 10 valves so I think Im covered,
For now !!!

20220613_082722.jpg

20220613_082841.jpg

20220613_082924.jpg

So as I understand it there were 2 versions. On for 6cyl and one for the V-8. Maybe a third early on that could be disassembled. There is suppose to be a color coded ring on the inlet side that plugs into Valve cover. Basically a calibration of idle flow based on vacuum motor made.

So as I understand it there were 2 versions. On for 6cyl and one for the V-8. Maybe a third early on that could be disassembled. There is suppose to be a color coded ring on the inlet side that plugs into Valve cover. Basically a calibration of idle flow based on vacuum motor made.
Correct , the slant six valve is 2808441

Ive seen this shorter hex barrel version before. So maybe its slant six only ????????

And A LOT of sellers dont designate slant six from V8 , when apparently there is a difference. Maybe flow rate ???

2808441-valve.jpg

Good thread. Made me dig out some trinkets.
The 622s I have here are short hex.
The 441 is gone.
20220614_115333.jpg
20220614_115340.jpg

hex nut in all my OE ones are a silver gold color with maybe a very very slight greenish tint
My Atlas one have no hex nut

20220614_123325.jpg

Not the nut, but inside at inlet there is suppose to be color coded ring.

So is this something that a show judge might count points against?

The ring? No it identifies the unit calibration for a V8 versus a I6 or low performance engine at idle.

The judges won't know....
It's the 2 crusty dudes arguing about it for hours that you have to watch out for.

The judges won't know....
It's the 2 crusty dudes arguing about it for hours that you have to watch out for.
:rofl: It was something that I never looked at. Was a show judge for 2 years back in 2000 and 2001. Wasn't Concours....far from it but stuff like a double pulley on an alternator that was supposed to be a single got points. It was pretty cool doing that (late summer heat though) because you got to see a LOT of cars up close but you also got to see the aholes that got pissed when they got points against stuff like that. They weren't supposed to be in the judging lane at the time but some stepped over the barrier anyways. Told one guy if he didn't step back out that his car would be disqualified and he really got mad....but stepped back out....after his face turned nearly blood red lol

I was a judge for the Mopar Nats for about 5 or 6 years.

As long as the PCV valve appeared correct in regards to shape and style and color, It was good.

I always looked for correct part numbers "WHEN ABLE and VISIBLE " on items such as the wiper motor, carb , manifolds , etc etc

Nothing was removed to ck internals ever

Last year I judged, I had a guy get pissy with me on Sunday morning when his 72 Duster didnt make top 3 . Jim Bielenda and the head judge went back and re judged the top 5 . Came back with my exact same choices . Owner was PISSED his pro done car got beat by a father and son home garage done car. But man that car was nice .

Havent done it since. And lost all interest to take a car to that level ,,,, ever.

So I know this is an older thread but I was wondering what the Hex Nut was actually needed for that comes with the PCV Valve? When Mopars came from the factory did the PCV valves come with the nut attached to it or was it omitted? I have seen it both ways on hi end restoration pics. Just trying to find out what is OE Correct.

Last question Long shank vs Short shank PCV valves. whats the difference I have an NOS in the box from the 70's part number 2808622 and it has the short shank.

Thank you!

Reason for the extra nut was on early cars the PCV was on a metal can that slid down on a tower , later cars the PCV went in a rubber grommet
All hemis used the cap / tower arrangment from 66-69

Reason for the hex shape I can only assume was to aid assy on said tower type setups

20211001_175450.jpg

Reason for the extra nut was on early cars the PCV was on a metal can that slid down on a tower , later cars the PCV went in a rubber grommet
All hemis used the cap / tower arrangment from 66-69

Reason for the hex shape I can only assume was to aid assy on said tower type setups

View attachment 1618491
Ah ok I get. I have a 440 with a grommet so it never made sense to me.

Did they leave the nuts on the pvc valve from the factory even when putting them on cars with grommets

Ah ok I get. I have a 440 with a grommet so it never made sense to me.

Did they leave the nuts on the pvc valve from the factory even when putting them on cars with grommets
The factory? No.

Auto Transport Service
Back