• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NOSTALGIA A/FX LETTERING on my '65 Coronet AWB Hardtop!

8stackhemi

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:36 PM
Reaction score
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Decided to do A/FX 'lettering' on my AWB '65 Coronet 440 to finish off its racing theme.
I have the honor of knowing 'Shottz' Ousley who has been doing race car lettering, the old fashion way, for years! Gotta be the BEST lettering & paint artist in the south.....or anywhere, for that matter!
After adding 'Enderle' 8-Stack injection w/EFI conversion about 18 months ago, the decision was now final to cap it all off with nostalgic lettering that depicts the history of the car back to when it was originally built at the 'Maywood City' assembly plant in Los Angeles County & purchased new at Charlie Allen's Atlantic Dodge in L.A.
Im excited to have the AWB finished very soon & it's looking better than I ever imagined! Completion day is near!

I love your taste. The color and lettering along with the A/FX platform place it right on the pages of National Dragster. :thumbsup:

Beautiful Coronet. The Color with the cool lettering goes well together. Sweet Ride.

sweet ride!
it takes a lot of talent to hand paint lettering like that
there is a guy near me that used to do it
for a living mostly for fleet work
I think the wraps put him out of business...

Looks great. Had lettering is cool. My neighbor restored the Dave Strickler awb car. My brother in law recreated all the original lettering. Not near as fancy as yours though.
Doug

Does he do goldleaf?

Yes, absolutely! Much of the lettering on my car is gold leaf, the 'Simple Beginnings', 'Enderle', 'Charlie Allen's', 'Westar' race engines, even 'Lola' on the deck lid is a 'greenish' leaf. The car's a bit heavier now than when it went in to SHOTTZ' shop for lettering....lol!
BY THE WAY, wasn't your a/fx originally a tribute built by Richard LeFebvre around 2005 & then sold to Mark Tyrol in Massachusetts, I think? Then, I remember it was for sale again?
Fun stuff!!!

Here's the gold leaf Shottz is using on the car:
image.jpeg

Last edited:
sweet ride!
it takes a lot of talent to hand paint lettering like that
there is a guy near me that used to do it
for a living mostly for fleet work
I think the wraps put him out of business...
Thanks much! I'll pass on compliments to SHOTTZ!

Looks great. Had lettering is cool. My neighbor restored the Dave Strickler awb car. My brother in law recreated all the original lettering. Not near as fancy as yours though.
Doug
SHOTTZ is such an artist, it amazes me! At 71, I'm fortunate to have him as a 'younger' really cool friend, for sure!

Doug

Doug, thanks so much, I'm pretty lucky to have this car & even more proud of it now, since the lettering I think adds so much to it & its history from where it started its life as just 'simple transportation' to & from work in 1965 for its original owner (George Huerta) out in Los Angeles. I wound up selling my '64 Polara straight-axle gasser w/Hilborn injected 440 motor that I had moved down here to SC from MI, so I could get the '65.
The Polara's former owner had some nice lettering done by Chip Foose's lettering artist in CA which is what pushed me to get the '65 done, too. I'm so fortunate to know Shottz! Here's my '64 that I believe now lives somewhere in PA.
Scott

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Beautiful Coronet. The Color with the cool lettering goes well together. Sweet Ride.
Ha, my wife HATES the 'puke green' as she calls it! She asked me if all this new lettering would cover ALL the UGLY green on the car, lol.

Thanks so much! He's also doing some 'panel' painting to finish it off. Can't wait to see how that turns out.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back