• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not Your Everyday Charger

Hard to believe that ChryCo put that /6 in dang near everything including full size pickups. It still baffles me when I see the 94 'The New Dodge' full size generation with the V6. Seems like all the Dakotas that got them (in the 90's anyways) all had 3.55 gears and man, what a lame combo that is and the 94 and ups full size were a LOT heavier. I know they are lame because I've had several Dakotas with the V6 and still have 2 and even had a 74 SWB pickup with the /6 and 3.55's and it was lame too. Had one 92 Dakota with the 5.2 with 3.90 gears and it got better mpg in town AND on the highway than any V6 I've ever had and it was a whole bunch more full and did much more work and easier. I got 21 with the /6 pickup one time but had to drive it like there was an egg under the gas pedal to do that and not go over 55 with it ever.

The 1970 /6 are rarer than my Six Pack. 200 and some compared to 647.

Rare and desirable aren’t always the same thing. :D

Hard to believe that ChryCo put that /6 in dang near everything including full size pickups. It still baffles me when I see the 94 'The New Dodge' full size generation with the V6. Seems like all the Dakotas that got them (in the 90's anyways) all had 3.55 gears and man, what a lame combo that is and the 94 and ups full size were a LOT heavier. I know they are lame because I've had several Dakotas with the V6 and still have 2 and even had a 74 SWB pickup with the /6 and 3.55's and it was lame too. Had one 92 Dakota with the 5.2 with 3.90 gears and it got better mpg in town AND on the highway than any V6 I've ever had and it was a whole bunch more full and did much more work and easier. I got 21 with the /6 pickup one time but had to drive it like there was an egg under the gas pedal to do that and not go over 55 with it ever.
Bell Telephone bought a whole fleet of Dodge Crew Cab pickups in the mid 70’s. They were all /6, 3 on the column.

The 1970 /6 are rarer than my Six Pack. 200 and some compared to 647.

Rare and desirable aren’t always the same thing. :D
Looks like the 'people' back then were much smarter than they are now! lol

Graveyard cars has a /6 68 Charger that is a friend of a friends. It's been there for probably 10 years now.. I heard they finally pulled the drive train out of it in Spring of last year.

Bell Telephone bought a whole fleet of Dodge Crew Cab pickups in the mid 70’s. They were all /6, 3 on the column.
How true! My pop bought a 75 at one of their auctions in 80 or 81 and we torched all the “innards” out of the utility bed and used it to haul firewood! Lol. Not only was it a dog, but inexplicably ugly too! Lol

I never did like the term 'no replacement for displacement' but when you go that small, eh, don't care for them. Plus there's not enough main bearings in the /6 to appeal to me and if I were to ever build a fast 6....I'm going for the torque monster. The Cummins 6BT. Yeah, the /6 has a long stroke but it also has a tiny bore so that's 2 strikes against it. :) Big bore short stoke engines make torque too but tiny bores with long strokes, not so much.

Only replacement for cubic inches is rectangular dollars.
:eek:

Back in 1981 the first Charger I ever bought was a 68 that had a bunch of 440 parts in the trunk
Not till many years later when the internet came along I figured it out that it was a slant 6 car originally
Still have the ownership card sitting on a shelf

I never did like the term 'no replacement for displacement' but when you go that small, eh, don't care for them. Plus there's not enough main bearings in the /6 to appeal to me and if I were to ever build a fast 6....I'm going for the torque monster. The Cummins 6BT. Yeah, the /6 has a long stroke but it also has a tiny bore so that's 2 strikes against it. :) Big bore short stoke engines make torque too but tiny bores with long strokes, not so much.
Four mains? Never knew that.

Takes me back to when I had a 1275 Midget, 3 main motor that made 100 horse, or if the 1/4" spacer between the head and block were removed, it made 125 horse naturally aspirated. It cost $8,500 in 1990 and the higher compression versions didn't last long. Originally an irrigation pump motor, they are built beyond reason for having only 3 mains.

A guy at our track has a slanty 68 running 9.60s.
Well it's a BB now.

I had a 71 Barracuda convertible slant six car,one of 163 built. It was a gutless underpowered slug. I bought a rusty 71 Challenger R/T that had a freshly rebuilt 383 magnumin it. I swapped the whole driveline into it. It completely transformed the car and the 383 got the same gas mileage as the boat anchor slant six did. I added gilled fenders,a shaker hood,a rallye cluster and dual exhaust tips and the car was done!

I painted an airport tug, it had a slant 6 and topped out at 10 or 12 mph. It would pull a jet. Lol- custom painted it to match the helicopter it moved around.
Yeah you know you have problems when your tug doesn’t match your helicopter…

I have seen 3 of these in my lifetime. 50 years ago a guy in my neighborhood had one and I got to drive it. The car got down the road surprisingly well. I don't if it was the stick or the gears. Besides my parents' two '62 Lancers, mom had a GT, 170 with pushbuttons and dad had a cheapo 2 door 170 sedan, my favorite Slant 6 cars were the Trenton, NJ Fury I 2 door sedans, both sticks and automatics. Then I saw the '70 Fury I 2 door sedan with 440 on the hood bulges!

A guy at our track has a slanty 68 running 9.60s.
Well it's a BB now.
9.60 in the 1/4 or 1/8th mile and how many times did he blow it up?? I would assume it's 1/4 mile since a 9.60 1/8 is about a 15 flat in the 1/4 and I can see doing that with a /6 pretty easily. Got my 66 Belvedere running an 18.10 with no mods to the engine except for the simple stuff like a open element air cleaner, straight pipe, light weight flex fan, jetted carb, advanced timing...that kind of stuff. When I got the car it ran a 23 and something lol. Shaved off over 4 seconds just doing work on the car and those mods to the engine then replaced the 2.94 gears with a 4.10 and it want from a 19.66 (ironic?) to the 18.10.

I painted an airport tug, it had a slant 6 and topped out at 10 or 12 mph. It would pull a jet. Lol- custom painted it to match the helicopter it moved around.
Yeah you know you have problems when your tug doesn’t match your helicopter…
We had a fork lift at work with a /6. It ran good and got up to speed quickly and felt like it was heading for 30mph or better until the governor kicked in. Pretty sure it was going at least 25 which was fast enough for that thing lol

Auto Transport Service
Back