• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nu-Relics Power Window Conversion

Hemirunner

Local time
5:00 AM
Reaction score
This must not be a popular conversion as I found one guy who put these in a convertible. I’m looking for advice on the switches and wire routing. The switch is very thick and it doesn’t appear to have room, depth wise, to occupy the original crank hole in the door panel. I shimmed the front of the regulator out .200” to gain some room. Has anyone done this before and do the switches fit into the holes? How is the power routed from the channel under the carpet to behind the door panel?

Nu Relics is the only player I'm aware of that is making the power regulators for the rear quarter windows. I installed their system in my 68 Charger a few years ago. I'm not going to be any help with mounting the switches in the door panels because I bought new door panels without the holes cut in and I only have the gang switch for all 4 windows. I mounted it in my console so no individual switches. The wiring for their system is real simple and only needs a power 12 Volt power feed. No relays like the factory used. They provide a tube to run the wires for the doors and the wires for the quarter windows run in the channel under the carpet and there is a space at the bottom to run the wires into the quarter window area. My only problem with their regulators is they did not have a adjustable stop for the door window down position and I had to fabricate one for mine. I'm not certain that they fixed that problem or not. My window would go down below the cat whisker about 1/2" too far. Here are a few pics of my install.

100_7398.JPG 100_7399.JPG 100_7568.JPG 100_7648.JPG

That looks really nice. I don’t have a console as it’s a bench seat car. I also don’t want to drop the coin on the door panels as that doubles the cost of an already expensive install. The panels I have are in decent shape and “good enough” for the purpose of this car. It looks like I can trim some sheet metal and also space the regulator back enough to fit the switches in the original hole locations. It’ll be a bunch of fiddling, but should work. I’ve got both driver side windows in and they work great. I’m gonna like these when sitting in the staging lanes in the heat.

You could always source original switches and run relays off of them.

You could always source original switches and run relays off of them.
I’m not very familiar with the original switches or how they mount. That option might add complexity in other ways.

I'm sure you will get it figured out. Since you mentioned you have the drivers side completed, I was wondering how your door window regulator works. Did they install an adjustable down stop in the regulator to stop it from going too far down? I brought that to their attention back in 2015 and they were going to look into it at that time. Just wondering if they fixed it.

I'm sure you will get it figured out. Since you mentioned you have the drivers side completed, I was wondering how your door window regulator works. Did they install an adjustable down stop in the regulator to stop it from going too far down? I brought that to their attention back in 2015 and they were going to look into it at that time. Just wondering if they fixed it.
They’ve welded a stop onto the door regulator that works in both directions.

Great! I had to drill a hole and use a 1/4" bolt to make mine work. I always wondered if they fixed it. Thanks for the update.

Looks like you have it mastered. Good Job!
I wouldn’t say mastered. I still need to adjust it Forward some. It’s back about a 1/4” from where it was. I want to tweak the door gaps a little before I adjust the rear window location. The outer rubber also squeaks when the crown of the window goes by, so it may need pulled in slightly. Too many adjustments lol.

Yeah I know. I spent a ton of time adjusting mine too. Every adjustment affects another adjustment. Seems like it is never ending.

I know this thread is 4 years old but did you use the power window switches and place them in the original manual regulator holes? Or did you use different cards trying to decide between nu crank switches or oem switches

I know this thread is 4 years old but did you use the power window switches and place them in the original manual regulator holes? Or did you use different cards trying to decide between nu crank switches or oem switches
None of the above...........I ordered new door panels without the holes and installed the gang operator from Nu Relics in the console and used their wiring harness.

100_7648.JPG

100_7647.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back