• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Numbers matching 440 bare block ?

Local time
2:16 AM
Reaction score
It appears I have found the original 440 block for my 69 Charger, bare, with caps, and presumably rebuildable. How much premium or finders fee do you think is fair / what would you be willing to pay?

I have already installed a correct engine for the car, so I don't plan on building this original block and installing it, yet I still feel like it is my duty to try and reunite the block with the car.

Thanks for your feedback.

The proverbial "needle in a haystack".

Now go play the lottery.

10-20%?

That's a loaded question. A few important variables can veer that in different directions. Are you sure it's the numbers block ? Have you entered into negotiations ? Circumstances, both yours and the block's owner, play into the picture.

Did you actively search for the engine? Or did it turn up by chance? And I wonder how it got separated in the first place?
It sure would be nice if I found the original engine for my 69 charger!

If the seller is a car person they should sell it to you for just a fair price. $250-500 depending condition.
If they are a scalper they can name their price and it’s up to you to determine if you can live with that price.

How much does the seller want?

Why does this matter? It’s not like a GM car, and the only way to prove the engine came in the car is the matching number. GM cars did not indicate the engine the car had til 1972.

Why does this matter? It’s not like a GM car, and the only way to prove the engine came in the car is the matching number. GM cars did not indicate the engine the car had til 1972.
Some people like their cars to be 100% original. I get your point but numbers help sell it.

If it IS the Original Block, and it IS in Good Condition, Not Junk, I would Buy it. The Seller should relinquish it back to You, for a Fair Price, like what He Paid for It. Another option would be to find a similar, or Better Condition 440, and Trade it. Original Matching # Items, have Real Value, Only to Those Needing Them for Completion...

I don't know how much extra you should or can pay, but there is a member on the forum here, if I remember correctly willing to pay a 10K finders fee for his old car. The question is, How much is it worth to you?

I was in a similar situation years ago. A guy had the numbers matching block for my 1 of 97 '70 Coronet R/T Six Pack 4 speed car. I thought the guy was a complete ******** for wanting $2,000.00... for a bare block with main caps, nothing else. I ended up paying $1,500.... and I still think the guy is a ********.

About a year later, he left me a voice mail asking to buy a set of used leaf springs that he knew I had. I refrained from telling him that my price to him would be $1,000.

Last edited:
I was in a similar situation years ago. A guy had the numbers matching block for my 1 of 97 '70 Coronet R/T Six Pack 4 speed car. I thought the guy was a complete ******** for wanting $2,000.00... for a bare block with main caps, nothing else. I ended up paying $1,500.... and I still think the guy is a ********.
Depends how bad you want the engine. At this point its a sellers market. You either pay up or dont.

Depends if you have the matching numbers trans. If it makes a matching numbers car something is in order a specially if he contacted you. Guy I know found the complete Hemi engine for his car. Paid a premium price but value added to his car I think made up for it. Now he needs the 18 spline 70/71 trans with last four numbers in VIN 5353!

That sux. To only worry about what your car is worth if you have to sell it.

No wonder restomods bring the same if not more than 100% restored cars.

Asking an inflated price for an item just because its coded etc is not cool. But on the other side, nobody is holding a gun to your head to make you buy it.

I thought this thread was about a finder's fee, not the price of the engine block.

Sold a six pack shaker Cuda in the 90s minus the original motor. I had tracked down the original block, the guy wanted 5k so i told him to go scratch. Fast forward to about 2005. The car changed hands a few times. Got a call from the guy who bought it. He wanted the guys info who had the block . He gave him a call and the owner said $12500 for the block! The guy actually paid $12500 I was in shock. Price of the car plus another $125k for the resto. He's well into this car for 200k. My finders fee was " Thanks a lot"

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back