• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Odd Car show comments

Also So the story goes that in late 1971 the Catholic Church pressured Chrysler to cease the Demon logo (little devil with pitchfork) due to its negative religious connotations, thus only a 2 year run for the Demon, I read this over the years from more than one source.
Is there any truth to this?
The guys at Chrysler wanted to call that color Statachtory Grape,but that was overruled by the brass!

Also So the story goes that in late 1971 the Catholic Church pressured Chrysler to cease the Demon logo (little devil with pitchfork) due to its negative religious connotations, thus only a 2 year run for the Demon, I read this over the years from more than one source.
Is there any truth to this?
Yes but don't remember if it was the Catholic Church or not....

When I finished my '69 Bee, The only show I put it in was in Ramstein when I went back to Germany. When asked about the engine, I said it was a '64 426W, but he insisted I was wrong because the pie tin and fender badges said it was a 383. I also had a guy say his uncle had a '69 with the rare factory "Gull Wing" option. I tried to explain that '69 never had any wing option, he claimed his uncle worked at Chrysler so... :rolleyes:

When I finished my '69 Bee, The only show I put it in was in Ramstein when I went back to Germany. When asked about the engine, I said it was a '64 426W, but he insisted I was wrong because the pie tin and fender badges said it was a 383. I also had a guy say his uncle had a '69 with the rare factory "Gull Wing" option. I tried to explain that '69 never had any wing option, he claimed his uncle worked at Chrysler so... :rolleyes:
Well, the guys on the line would build a 'special' car for an employee but it wasn't all that much different than the rest of the cars coming off the line. Gull wing doors? Nope. Maybe he was thinking about the 'go wing'?

That’s a new one. It’s funny how these stories change over the years. Over on BAT a guy assured me that because they were hard to park “Daytonas were converted back to basic Chargers” another guy chimed in… “It happened all the time”. :D

That’s a new one. It’s funny how these stories change over the years. Over on BAT a guy assured me that because they were hard to park “Daytonas were converted back to basic Chargers” another guy chimed in… “It happened all the time”. :D
Several dealers converted them back to basic Chargers because they weren't selling! Yeah, they were hard to park but lots of people didn't like them because of many reasons. Heck, I didn't care for that look myself. I was working construction building houses back then and the roach coach driver said she had one. For some reason and buddy and I were talking cars when she came up with the food and chimed in. She said she would finish her rounds and would bring the car out for us to see it and we both said 'yeah right' lol.....and she did! She said she got a super deal on it and bought it. I heard some dealers took a loss just to get it out of the showroom. Anyways, for what it's worth, roach coach owner/drivers were white back then lol. Don't know if it was really her car but she came out to the job site with it.

The Roach Coach.
The Biscuit Bitch.
The Sandwich Skank.
The Coffee Queen.
The Donut Dame.
The Taco truck.....

1 laugh.jpg

Several dealers converted them back to basic Chargers because they weren't selling! Yeah, they were hard to park but lots of people didn't like them because of many reasons. Heck, I didn't care for that look myself. I was working construction building houses back then and the roach coach driver said she had one. For some reason and buddy and I were talking cars when she came up with the food and chimed in. She said she would finish her rounds and would bring the car out for us to see it and we both said 'yeah right' lol.....and she did! She said she got a super deal on it and bought it. I heard some dealers took a loss just to get it out of the showroom. Anyways, for what it's worth, roach coach owner/drivers were white back then lol. Don't know if it was really her car but she came out to the job site with it.
I’ve heard the story about Superbirds… they had to make 4 times as many to satisfy NASCAR “stock car” rules. But even in that case, a dealer would have to purchase the whole front end, fenders, hood, grill, bumper… fill the holes in the quarters, and then paint the entire car. To sell it as a low dollar road runner? Yeah right. They would just discount the price to move it on.

I’ve heard the story about Superbirds… they had to make 4 times as many to satisfy NASCAR “stock car” rules. But even in that case, a dealer would have to purchase the whole front end, fenders, hood, grill, bumper… fill the holes in the quarters, and then paint the entire car. To sell it as a low dollar road runner? Yeah right. They would just discount the price to move it on.
Well, a Charger brought decent money since it was a higher end car than a road runner so they got the treatment. Not sure if any dealers went junk yarding for crashed road runners but there were plenty of them in the wrecking yards back then. Dang near brand new cars smashed up already! In early 70 I bought headers and a transmission for my 66 Belvedere from a 69 Bee that was crunched in the rear. Got something else from it but can't remember what it was. Then you had some people that wanted the 'left over' wing car and didn't want the nose or wing. Heard of that happening a time or two....

Is it possible, even ever so slightly that this is instigated? I have had no issues like you mention except one guy that said 69 RR's did not come with Hemi's. I responded "OK". Ten minutes later he came back and apologized. These are strangers that you have absolutely nothing invested in, so why bother?

Well, a Charger brought decent money since it was a higher end car than a road runner so they got the treatment. Not sure if any dealers went junk yarding for crashed road runners but there were plenty of them in the wrecking yards back then. Dang near brand new cars smashed up already! In early 70 I bought headers and a transmission for my 66 Belvedere from a 69 Bee that was crunched in the rear. Got something else from it but can't remember what it was. Then you had some people that wanted the 'left over' wing car and didn't want the nose or wing. Heard of that happening a time or two....
The converted Chargers, if they ever happened would be easy to spot… all Daytona VIN’s started with “XX29”.

Oh… and the backlight.:D

I can't remember
It's been too long since I even entered 'a carshow'
used to do a lot of the meet & greets
Now called; 'Cars & Coffee',
or some other "new hip name"
the last 15 or so years,
I've only been to a couple gatherings, at a local burger joint in Jamestown
so maybe 'Hot Rods & Shakes' :poke:
it was 'an every Friday evening' weather permitted
people would start come in after about 4:00pm-ish
sometimes about as many as 40+ cars/trucks, usually a smaller crowd
(sadly it's closed now)
But;
most all people are really polite & 'tuned in to what's what'
intelligent car crowds
mostly all older car guys/gals, some with kids in tow, up here
& the people that aren't 'in tuned', will ask nicely...
There's not many MoPars
lots of older Chevy's & especially now older vintage (30's-40's) Fords,
or even some really nice Jeeps & really nice 4wds/Trucks

lots of respect for everyone it seems, it was some fun crowds

get out of the big inner-shitty's, it's a lot a nicer set of people
even in the car crowds

years ago my RR was called a Chevelle or a Nova or a GTO
Oh well

Last edited:
About 12 years ago when I first had my A100 all finished up, I went to enter it into an Easter Muscle Car Show - a show that I had in previous years help organise and run, and entered with my GTX. I had a display in mind - with the front end jacked up, and a set of drag lights etc.

I was told that my A100 (all painted up like Maverick's wheelstander) would not fit the image of the Muscle Car era, but they were happy to accept my GTX. I told them I was going away for Easter, and not to bother. The organiser offered to have someone else drive my GTX to and from the show since I was going out of town....I declined. Nobody drives my car when I'm not around.

BTW....they were happy to have a few crappy old 50's Chevy shoeboxes, and a fox body Mustang drag car in the show...... miserable cork suckers. :jackoff:

I don't do shows any more....I have enough worthless trophies gathering dust in a box or three now.

My favourite one is this...
1989 Burnout trophy.jpg
Inaugural Fathers Day Drags 1989.jpg

Full quarter mile smoking the bags. :lol:

The converted Chargers, if they ever happened would be easy to spot… all Daytona VIN’s started with “XX29”.

Oh… and the backlight.:D
Well, 40 or so years ago, not that many knew that....and the backlight was on the 500's too, right? When did you learn to read VIN's? I sure didn't pay much attention to them in the early 80's....or even later than that.

My personal best (.....or worst?) car show comment;
Just after getting my restored 1964 Polara 500 convertible on the road, I attended a local cruise night. I noticed a couple of guys going around my car, looking at everything very carefully. One of the pair came over to me to say, " You sure did a nice restoration on your Dodge. Too bad it's such an ugly car.". My reply was something to the effect of, " If we all liked the same thing, I guess we would all be living at my house.".

View attachment 1351862

View attachment 1351863

View attachment 1351864
I love that damn car...

Dodge is'nt stupid. They gladly changed the name to Dart Sport so they could sell them one too. :lol:

Well, the guys on the line would build a 'special' car for an employee but it wasn't all that much different than the rest of the cars coming off the line. Gull wing doors? Nope. Maybe he was thinking about the 'go wing'?
IDK, that was 32 years ago and I have slept a few times since then... He might have said "Go-Wing", but it still wasn't an option for a '69 SuperBee.

IDK, that was 32 years ago and I have slept a few times since then... He might have said "Go-Wing", but it still wasn't an option for a '69 SuperBee.
To tell you the truth, I don't know but have seen a couple over the years with one on them.....

I was a civil war reenactor 20+ years ago. Got similar questions from spectators.

1. Do you use real bullets. Um no.
2. Is that a real fire. Clearly there smoke and fire...

Auto Transport Service
Back