• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OEM AM 8 Track deck installed

albert 5694

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:00 PM
Reaction score
Hello i just want to thank everybody on this site for all the guidance in helping me in the changing out of my junk resto radio that was not holding a station so i had an original AM 8 track radio repaired and converted to AM/FM 8 track and replaced the push button radio with this one. I was a little apprehensive since my 69 GTX is equipped with factory A/C but with all of your guidance it actually went fairly smooth. I am showing before and after what do you think but before you criticize i know the radio bezel is not 100% correct only because an original OEM is near impossible to find so other then that i would like your opinions on the look thanks again for all your help.

20220521_094313.jpg 20220521_160131.jpg

The 8-track looks good in the dash. The fact that it plays is fantastic. How does it sound to you? Was the output wattage increased?

Sharp looking rims on your blue GTX, if those are the current ones.

Thanks for the input yes it sounds as good as 40 year old tapes can sound but i like old school anyhow, When i had it converted with the Aurora system yes i had them increase the out put wattage to the max it will make you want to get out of the car at 3/4 volume. woo and yes that is the wheels i have installed on the car thanks.

I have an Alice Cooper tape in my AM/8Track and that gets more comments than anything else on my car.

I have Van Halen 1 in my 8 track player. How much is the conversion to a new style radio?

I had 2 of them converted it depends on the options you want the conversions are any were from 300.00 to 1000.00 plus what ever it takes to repair the radio and 8 track Average is 400 to 500 for the repairs before the conversion average core will run you around 350 to 450 bucks unless you already have one. The one i put in the car was 1100.00 for the core the radio and 8 track repair and then the AM/FM with Aux inputs conversion

Black Sabbath... Master of Reality... popped in my 79 Cordoba.... both car & 8-track unrestored originals

What company does this repair/upgrade to a AM/8 track.
Anybody on the east coast?
Thanks in advance.
I talked to a company at Carlisle a year or two age and they did not do the repair of the 8 tracks.
I need to take a look in side the unit and see if the 8 tracks drive band broke.

R and B vintage radio in Tennessee dose the conversion and like anybody the 8 track is restorable as long as they either have the parts or you have a doner radio like I did so they can make a good one out of 2 but he will evaluate it and let you know if he has the parts to repair it. The only other one that dose the 8 track repair as well as the conversion is Berry's 8 track in Arizona

R and B vintage radio in Tennessee dose the conversion and like anybody the 8 track is restorable as long as they either have the parts or you have a doner radio like I did so they can make a good one out of 2 but he will evaluate it and let you know if he has the parts to repair it. The only other one that dose the 8 track repair as well as the conversion is Berry's 8 track in Arizona
Barry will patch in modern parts rather than use vintage ones. I won't use him again.

You have to remove the heater box on an ac car to remove the radio, correct?

No you do not have to remove the hater box i removed the ash tray assembly then the lower duct work that transfers from left to right and then removed the heater/ac box to dash louver duct work and was able to remove the radio then. It was not to terribly hard.

I have an Alice Cooper tape in my AM/8Track and that gets more comments than anything else on my car.

I stick a Slim Whitman tape in for shows. When I sent my AM/8Track in for service they added an auxiliary jack so I could plug in an iPod, it was money well spent…

Auto Transport Service
Back