• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Off Site Scam Warning

padam

Local time
3:00 PM
Reaction score
I had a friend contact me about truck for sale, not mopar but classic Toyo.

Listed as not running, but it was in good shape by the pic.

My son tried to look up the vin, but it was supposedly too old to come up.

I’m not sure how he got to the site or what it was, but it was supposed to give him a report for 1$. He got no report and they tried to charge $30 to his card. Bank blocked it, but he had to cancel his card…etc.

So I’m guessing that maybe these bogus CL / FB / forum ads may be a ploy to lure us into these fake research sites. Pretty smart actually, knowing that car guys will try to look up the vin.

I’ve heard of similar scam ads on FB Charger groups.

Just wanted to warn people. Stay vigilant.

Another new scam. Say you advertise an item for sale and you get a response via fb or a messenger. They may ask or you give them your cell phone number, what’s better than talking in person. But they then send you a text with a series of numbers (5) and ask you to text that number back to them, so as to make sure you are not a scammer. In reality I think that can compromise your phone list and other information. Funny tho, the numbers sent in the text also included a warning from google that this was a scam. Yeah! It happened to me. I did receive a text the next day asking about a generic family member’s health condition. Non since.

Since then anything for sale like that I’m using the landline house number.

These scammers suck.

I am looking for a truck - found one "locally" on Marketplace, inquire - no response for 2 days. Then I get a link to a URL of a company in New York that ships the vehicle for free to you once you pay. Yea - ok.

These scammers suck.

I am looking for a truck - found one "locally" on Marketplace, inquire - no response for 2 days. Then I get a link to a URL of a company in New York that ships the vehicle for free to you once you pay. Yea - ok.
Yeah. Another scam is about buying a vehicle on fb marketplace, told to email their Aunt who owned the vehicle and that the deal was going to be conducted on/through ebay motors because the seller wasn’t home much. They wanted too much information. I bailed and the ad reported, it was removed quickly.

Thanks for the heads up/warnings

I don't & won't do Fakebook, ever... way too many horror stories
IMO not even for FBBO stuff, not worth subjecting yourself to that crap

I did use Craigslist a few times, relatively successfully
& I haven't for years now, I have never had any issues...
But, I don't know if I'd even do that anymore...

local paper/s or local know groups
or the MoPar classifieds on here (FBBO Marketplace) for MoPars car stuff

caveat emptor

Auto Transport Service
Back