• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Off Topic: How to play Apple Music at 24/192 on older audio equipment?

biomedtechguy

Accelerati Rapidus Maximus
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:05 PM
Reaction score
I have excellent D to A converters in my Oppo BDP-105D Blu-Ray disc player, and it has a USB input. It also can accept music files, and I can download Apple Music at 24/192 into my Galaxy S21 Ultra 5g, but I don't know how those files would play back once on the Oppo. My surround sound receiver is the ONLY one I want, circa 2005. Sony STR-DA 9000ES, made in Japan (where the best ES equipment is, or was, made). First time Sony S-Master Pro digital amplifiers were available in a non-commercial product. 200 WPC x 7ch at very low distortion, and it has a toroidal transformer power supply, gold caps, and I'm using it in 9.1 channel mode by programming it to "know" that I have a Sony TAN-5000ES 5 channel amplifier (run in 2-channel BridgedTransformerLess aka "BTL" mode) which takes the 5 amp outputs and converts them to a 2 channel output at 200 WPC. So I have 200 watts x 9 channels.
I'm pretty sure? the discontinued (2019) Chromecast Music device would work, by using its optical out in to the 9000ES, but they are discontinued. I may try to find one, IF I know it would work at the 24/192 resolution.
Worse case scenario, I'd have to buy a stand alone D to A converter and go stereo analog in to my receiver.
Anyone who has read this far and understands what they read should be able to answer my question.
Thanks

Apple is part of the Problem !
GET Some Vinyl !!!!

Just Messin' with ya !
Beer:30 Started at 5:30 tonite !
Feelin' Good about Now !!!
Oh, and it's about 0* outside now...
0121221838.jpg

Last edited:
I have excellent D to A converters in my Oppo BDP-105D Blu-Ray disc player, and it has a USB input. It also can accept music files, and I can download Apple Music at 24/192 into my Galaxy S21 Ultra 5g, but I don't know how those files would play back once on the Oppo. My surround sound receiver is the ONLY one I want, circa 2005. Sony STR-DA 9000ES, made in Japan (where the best ES equipment is, or was, made). First time Sony S-Master Pro digital amplifiers were available in a non-commercial product. 200 WPC x 7ch at very low distortion, and it has a toroidal transformer power supply, gold caps, and I'm using it in 9.1 channel mode by programming it to "know" that I have a Sony TAN-5000ES 5 channel amplifier (run in 2-channel BridgedTransformerLess aka "BTL" mode) which takes the 5 amp outputs and converts them to a 2 channel output at 200 WPC. So I have 200 watts x 9 channels.
I'm pretty sure? the discontinued (2019) Chromecast Music device would work, by using its optical out in to the 9000ES, but they are discontinued. I may try to find one, IF I know it would work at the 24/192 resolution.
Worse case scenario, I'd have to buy a stand alone D to A converter and go stereo analog in to my receiver.
Anyone who has read this far and understands what they read should be able to answer my question.
Thanks
I just came in here to say I have no idea what any of this means... lol. Good luck with the project.

Oppo's usually support everything & the kitchen sink. Your older receiver supports up to 24/96 DTS signals, it also does DSD which is high bandwidth CD's and likely anything else, such as Apple Music files would just get dumped through as PCM, which isn't a bad thing.

Would likely sound fine, irregardless.

I am an Android and computer user but will try to help. I have an HTPC attacked to my main system so downloaded music files can be played with any music player. My android also has a USB port so I can download files and then copy them to my PC. My PC has a DVD burner so I could format a disc (non audio), copy files, then play on the Oppo. Another option is to use a USB drive or HDD to and connect to the Oppo. It really depends on what else you have to work with. Iphones require that you play by Apple rules.

I am an Android and computer user but will try to help. I have an HTPC attacked to my main system so downloaded music files can be played with any music player. My android also has a USB port so I can download files and then copy them to my PC. My PC has a DVD burner so I could format a disc (non audio), copy files, then play on the Oppo. Another option is to use a USB drive or HDD to and connect to the Oppo. It really depends on what else you have to work with. Iphones require that you play by Apple rules.

He isn't using an iPhone, he is only getting his music from Apple Music onto his Galaxy phone which would be Android. Has nothing to do with "Apple Rules".

If the Oppo has a USB port just use that and a thumb drive/external HD and play the files that way. Anything the receiver can't do natively will likely get dumped to PCM. Your ears won't know the difference.

Thanks for all the replies.
Yes, Galaxy S21 Ultra 5g is Android
The receiver can process 24/192 I just have to get it from Apple Music in to the receiver.
The receiver converts EVERYTHING to Sony's proprietary DSD (SACD) audio format, except for the IEEE FireWire input from my SACD player, which is already DSD, and the beauty of that is what music I have or can find on SACD is unmolested all the way through to just before it hits the speaker wires, where it has to be converted into analog. THAT is some of the purest, most amazing sound I've ever heard.
Oh, and I have a turntable too...
I have a BluRay reader writer on my desktop.
The KEY is to use Apple Music as my source material, because the service is FREE w/my Verizon plan.
I've subscribed to Spotify premium for years, and as soon as I search Apple Music for about 90 songs that I had on Spotify that failed to auto transfer to my Apple Playlist, I'm canceling Spotify.
If I wanted to pay for a music service, TIDAL is on the Oppo, and TIDAL has extremely high resolution audio available.
I'm trying to build a 572, so every $$ counts. Lol

Auto Transport Service
Back