• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil capacity

440Matt

Local time
2:21 PM
Reaction score
How many quarts of oil can the 440 handle when performing an oil change, I understand there is a dipstick but in the event mine is not correct id like to know how many quarts.
Old Pontiac 400’s manual says 5 quarts but the oil pan could safety handle 7 quarts.
Thanks

Drain the oil, replace the filter, add 6 qts of oil, run for 30 seconds to circulate oil, shut off engine and check oil level, ADJUST dipstick oil mark accordingly.

My 75 440 with factory stock pan was 5 quarts with filter. I now have a Milodin 7 quart pan. The correct capacity will depend upon the pan you use.

How many quarts of oil can the 440 handle when performing an oil change, I understand there is a dipstick but in the event mine is not correct id like to know how many quarts.
Old Pontiac 400’s manual says 5 quarts but the oil pan could safety handle 7 quarts.
Thanks
The oil pan can handle however much you put in it but having the level too high will get it to where the crank will dip into it and you don't want that.....

Thanks

Well since you didn't provide any specifics, hard to say, there are a few choices. The most common would be 5 Qt with the long filter and most standard oil pans. Although it would be fine at 5.5. If you had the "Hemi" pan, used on some HP versions, 6 to 6.5 Qts with the long filter. Good luck.

if possible post a picture from underneath of the pan and showing the drag link / steering bar under the pan.
also there should be a number stamped into the pan bottom if its a chrysler pan.
It will be a 3 numbers like 187 , 402 , 699, 933 ect.

Well since you didn't provide any specifics, hard to say, there are a few choices. The most common would be 5 Qt with the long filter and most standard oil pans. Although it would be fine at 5.5. If you had the "Hemi" pan, used on some HP versions, 6 to 6.5 Qts with the long filter. Good luck.
Thanks, it’s the original 440 in a 4spd 1967 GTX,, I will run 6 qts

if possible post a picture from underneath of the pan and showing the drag link / steering bar under the pan.
also there should be a number stamped into the pan bottom if its a chrysler pan.
It will be a 3 numbers like 187 , 402 , 699, 933 ect.
I will look tomorrow thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back