• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil dipstick

rrTor-Red

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:00 PM
Reaction score
Is there a difference in oil dipsticks and tube between a 383 and 400? My engine is now a 400 and was wondering either to use the old one or get new one. I will be running, more than likely, headers if an issue as well.

Wondering, Thanks

I don't think there is a difference but I was running a standard BB dipstick with Hooker Headers on my 400 and found it to be a real pain in the but. It had to be bent to clear the Header and power steering eventually making it stiff to pull, I installed a Lokar Flexible dipstick (you can put the handle wherever you like) and have been happy ever since. Good luck

I wouldn't think there would be a difference between a 383 and a 400 - unless you put in a deeper pan.

I wouldn't think there would be a difference between a 383 and a 400 - unless you put in a deeper pan.
A deeper pan would have no effect dip stick depth. Just takes more oil to fill it to same distance from crank.

Auto Transport Service
Back