• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OIL FILTER WRENCH

gary h

Local time
12:32 AM
Reaction score
I am looking for a Good quality End Cap style oil filter wrench for the big block filters. Thoughts ?

I have a couple of those, but usually, either the facets don't align well with the filter can, or they're slippery.
What I use to remove filters tends to be wither a band-type wrench - sometimes also slippery - or a large serrated-jaw filter wrench.
I always use a shallow aluminum-foil kind of baking tray to catch the oil spillage so it drains into a pan and not the K-member.

Capture+_2024-01-04-15-29-14~2.png

Maybe something like this would work for you.

If you are looking for a cup style that fits on the flutes on the end and you use the same filter each time, take it to the parts store and match it up. There are a lot of different filter sizes and flute numbers often times just 1mm. or one flute different than the next one. Depending on your application, a simple strap style wrench will work just fine. Get a good quality one made by KD Tools or Lisle.

1704407098618.png

The pair I have were given to me so I'm not sure of the brand.
@toolmanmike MX?
The one on the left is the BB filter size. On the right is the newer smaller Mopar.
These are cast aluminum with a combination steel 3/8" drive & wrench hex morphed into them.
Generally, they are snug going on the filter and need some "controlled persuasion" to completely seat on occasion. Likewise with removal.
They have been fine for me, but I think I'd rather have a steel cap if I were to purchase.

I have a couple sizes of strap, a plier style, and a end cap remover (bought from Walmart). All work well , which one I use depends on which car/truck and whether it's a fuel or oil filter.
The end cap style seems to get the most use lately.

Strap wrench is what I used for all of mine. Cheaper than buying 4 different cap wrenches.

I bought my strap style wrench from the Snap on guy (obviously over paid), but it works on everything I work on.

back in the day, you have to losen you’re pant's and use the pants belt to get off a filter as per an old timer …

Really ? I got the same band-style wrench I've used on BB Mopars ( as well as many other models) for over 55 years. You don't need anything else.

Oil filter correctly installed you shouldn't need one.

Lol, they can be handy for this old guy on filters such as this .........

1704559321349.png

Matco, Craftsman, Lisle, and Blue Point all make a version of the 3 leg just to name a few.

Oil filter correctly installed you shouldn't need one.
Unfortunately not everyone installs them correctly, especially when friends or family ask you to do an oil change and you swear the last person that did it must have used a pipe wrench.

I must have 10 oil filter wrenches in the tool cabinet. The best one for big block filters is the one I bought for my 68 Fury when I was 18. In 1973.

Auto Transport Service
Back