• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

oil filter

Is there any downside to running a smaller oil filter like Wix 51085 vs the larger Wix 51515?
The larger length filter, WIX # 51515 vs the smaller length filter, WIX # 51085 is the longer filter has MORE SURFACE AREA in the media. The more surface area results in LESS PRESSURE DROP (or pressure loss) across the filter, resulting in more oil available for lubrication. Personally, I'd use the WIX #51525 filter providing there is space available......just my opinion of course....
BOB RENTON

The larger length filter, WIX # 51515 vs the smaller length filter, WIX # 51085 is the longer filter has MORE SURFACE AREA in the media. The more surface area results in LESS PRESSURE DROP (or pressure loss) across the filter, resulting in more oil available for lubrication. Personally, I'd use the WIX #51525 filter providing there is space available......just my opinion of course....
BOB RENTON
It will only result in excess pressure drop if there is actually a restriction. Has anyone here actually used the smaller filter and experienced a failure? Has anyone hear that thinks it's a bad idea actually used one? I've used them. Andy F uses them. My blown street car is going on 33 years of use with the small filter. 100's of drag strip passes to boot. Zero failure. The bearings were inspected once during this time period. They looked like new.
Doug

It will only result in excess pressure drop if there is actually a restriction. Has anyone here actually used the smaller filter and experienced a failure? Has anyone hear that thinks it's a bad idea actually used one? I've used them. Andy F uses them. My blown street car is going on 33 years of use with the small filter. 100's of drag strip passes to boot. Zero failure. The bearings were inspected once during this time period. They looked like new.
Doug
I'm glad youve had success. My point was there is less pressure loss across the filter, even though it may be small there is less presdure loss due to more surface area to filter thru. I believe the shorter filter was required on some B/RB applications due to a related PS pump relocation (lower on engine) and some emission hardware (air pump?). You're proof positive that it doesn't really matter which filter is used.....thanks for comments......
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back