• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil pan and pick up struggles

Raise pick up or leave it?

• Leave it

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • Raise it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The shape of the original pickup will allow it to sit on the bottom as the intake screen is not affected but I would raise it 1/8" just to keep any muck out. Good suggestions above.

As stated above, the stock pickup is designed to sit on the bottom of the pan. Pickups without the sheet metal spacer need clearance.

but I got a Miladon pickup that was not tapered, and there is conflicting info out there.
I have a couple here I'll have a look and see. For sure the block itself, which accepts the tap, is an NPT tapered thread.

, but I got a Miladon pickup that was not tapered, and there is conflicting info out there.

I have a couple here I'll have a look and see.

Finally following up on this now ancient thread...maybe will still help for posterity. I checked all my factory pickups and the replacement units I have on hand, which are Melling, I do believe. I also checked the only Milodon pickup I have out of a car at the moment, which is a MIL-18338, 1/2" designed for the Touring pan for B-RB-Hemi. Every single pickup had tapered NPT (pipe thread).....not a one had a straight thread. The Milodon one really looked like a nice unit, with large inner ID, which is what you would hope to see on a 1/2" pickup. I will add that this one is a recent, post Covid manufacture, so that's a good thing.

HTH, Lefty71

Wait, are you saying they have left hand threads? That really IS something.

Finally following up on this now ancient thread...maybe will still help for posterity. I checked all my factory pickups and the replacement units I have on hand, which are Melling, I do believe. I also checked the only Milodon pickup I have out of a car at the moment, which is a MIL-18338, 1/2" designed for the Touring pan for B-RB-Hemi. Every single pickup had tapered NPT (pipe thread).....not a one had a straight thread. The Milodon one really looked like a nice unit, with large inner ID, which is what you would hope to see on a 1/2" pickup. I will add that this one is a recent, post Covid manufacture, so that's a good thing.

HTH, Lefty71
Did you measure them? The straight pipe thread, NPS, actually looks tapered. I have measured a few pick-ups and compared to a known NPT, and my machinists handbook. The factory original, the Mancini unit, and Summit all measured as straight pipe thread. If you hold the straight pipe thread next to the tapered you can see the difference, but it is slight. The caliper will tell the story. Measure the thread root at both ends against a known NPT

Did you measure them? The straight pipe thread, NPS, actually looks tapered. I have measured a few pick-ups and compared to a known NPT, and my machinists handbook. The factory original, the Mancini unit, and Summit all measured as straight pipe thread. If you hold the straight pipe thread next to the tapered you can see the difference, but it is slight. The caliper will tell the story. Measure the thread root at both ends against a known NPT

In anticipation of a bunch of blow-back, I looked up the Melling pick-up’s spec sheet. The thread is NPSM.

In anticipation of a bunch of blow-back, I looked up the Melling pick-up’s spec sheet. The thread is NPSM.

Very interesting...so you are the source of confusion!! Just kidding of course....but yes, I did measure them, with calipers....and I am a plumber, a lifer mind you! There is indeed a taper on everything I measured. I tried to do a little quick reading on the NPSM, as I am not a steamfitter after all, and it looks to me like they are saying those are straight threads, with a very clean inside chamfer ( as oppposed to just reamed) so they will metal-to-metal seal that edge on the appropriate female fittings, which of course would not include a Mopar engine block of any sort. So, very interesting observation on Melling's spec sheet.

Clear as mud, Lefty71

***EDIT*** I added to this post and it did'nt post for some reason, so I'll try again.... I went back out and looked for more pickups. I found a 6-quart that I think I got from Mancini a few years back.. I thought it was a Melling. So, think and thought...who knows it was def years ago. Anyway, looking at this one, for sure straight thread, and looking inside the end (threaded end) the tube is machined with a recessed flat, definately not like a reamer would do. So, confirmed I have in possession both units with NPT thread, as well as straight threads with a dressed end. To the OP, your options are do some research before buying a pickup, or plan to weld a nipple if you need to set a precise depth or have trouble sealing up inside the block.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back