• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil pan gasket still leaks

My Satellite had a leak, didn't figure out where it came from. Pulled the motor, and found that the timing cover didn't fit over the dowel pins properly. Drilled the cover for enough clearance to seat the timing cover all the way, thin coat of silicone. All good. Aftermarket timing cover.
Years ago with my race motors, I'd bang the timing cover on with my hand to check if was seated on the dowels. I didn't do that with my Satellite.

My Satellite had a leak, didn't figure out where it came from. Pulled the motor, and found that the timing cover didn't fit over the dowel pins properly. Drilled the cover for enough clearance to seat the timing cover all the way, thin coat of silicone. All good. Aftermarket timing cover.
Years ago with my race motors, I'd bang the timing cover on with my hand to check if was seated on the dowels. I didn't do that with my Satellite.
Good point but mines probably just an old gasket since it wasn’t leaking that bad before. It was leaking but then after the new breather it got worse

I let the car run on jackstands for about 10 mins and it’s wet under the lip of the timing cover

Looks like the pic on kern dogs post
CE29170E-7CFE-4D14-A7F1-8297EC91E6E0.jpeg

I let the car run on jackstands for about 10 mins and it’s wet under the lip of the timing cover

Looks like the pic on kern dogs post View attachment 1113413
Yep I've been fighting this for 5 years. I've had the oil pan off three times. It's the timing chain cover. Will tackle it someday.

OR ..... you could clean underneath really good, put some UV dye in the oil and run it...look around with a black light/UV light and find the source of the leak.....works ALMOST every time!

Did the pan again and it seems like it’s good While there I did notice the valve covers are starting to leak too. It’s wet under them but that’s not the leak I had it’s definitely the oil pan

starting the car tomorrow and I’ll know if my oil pan woes are finally over

thabks all

OR ..... you could clean underneath really good, put some UV dye in the oil and run it...look around with a black light/UV light and find the source of the leak.....works ALMOST every time!
Thanks but I know it’s the pan I’ve seen the drops from the corner

Oil pan... valve covers... same thing. Make sure surfaces CLEAN. Make sure pan or valve cover STRAIGHT. Indian head on gasket, put gasket on pan or valve cover... let set for a few minutes... Indian head on gasket mating side, let set for a few minutes... install hand tight... let set for a few minutes... torque to spec. Never a leak since the early 70's. Never.

Thanks but I know it’s the pan I’ve seen the drops from the corner

FWIW, nearly all valve cover leaks result in oil drips from the oil pan.

FWIW, nearly all valve cover leaks result in oil drips from the oil pan.
Yep, and rear main seals too....been down that road before, back corners of pan wet and nothing on the bellhousing.....oil pans are the easiest to blame I guess

Auto Transport Service
Back