• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OK, where does this go?

Jeff Erwin

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:58 AM
Reaction score
Center carb, top of the fuel bowl, hose comes out, connects to a fuel line and disappears. I'm on my way out of town so don't have time to crawl under to see.

I'm adding a vapor filter to the fuel line to eliminate my vapor lock problem. The fuel sender at the tank does NOT have a second port for the fuel return so I have no idea where this hose is going. Anyone know off hand know what this port on the carb is? Most pics and diagrams in docs about the carb either don't have it or don't talk about it.

carb fuel.jpeg

Yes, I'm just being lazy, I know, bear with me.

WTF is Chrysler ECS? I have all the shop manuals and 6-pack specific manuals, nothing refers to this outlet on the center fuel bowl.

It's a bowl vent. Might be going to nowhere.
But usually they go to an evap canister

Ah, emissions control. Never heard it referred to that way. Even so, why would this connect to something looking like a fuel line and disappearing under the car? I know the PCV system well, this doesn't appear to be part of it.

It is clearly spelled out and illustrated in the FSM. Sections 9A and 14.

WTF is Chrysler ECS? I have all the shop manuals and 6-pack specific manuals, nothing refers to this outlet on the center fuel bowl.
Oh yes they do. It is clearly spelled out and illustrated in the FSM. Sections 9A and 14.

Jeff you 1st should of said what car you had. 2 different center carbs ,one without the vent and one with. Is it the correct one for your car? I have that same center carb on my Bee and no I do not have it hooked to anything.

It is a vent. Not a good idea if it floods the gas goes into the engine.

Jeff you 1st should of said what car you had. 2 different center carbs ,one without the vent and one with. Is it the correct one for your car? I have that same center carb on my Bee and no I do not have it hooked to anything.
I have just the one center carb (440 6-pack 71 Bee). I've seen center carbs with and without. You guys have answered my question, when I get back I will figure out where it's venting to.

I have just the one center carb (440 6-pack 71 Bee). I've seen center carbs with and without. You guys have answered my question, when I get back I will figure out where it's venting to.
Again. Refer to the Chrysler ECS. It will illustrate what it is & exactly where it goes.

Is that venting back into the engine?

Yes.. In 70 California only in 71 50 states Chrysler used the crankcase as a storage container for fuel vapor from both the carb & the tank... The unit in the trunk is a liquid/vapor separator... Mostly it was a cheap easy solution for where to store vapors... But there were a few problems, as mentioned by HALIFAXHOPS if the carb overflows typically due to debris in the needle & seat the excess fuel gets dumped into the crankcase.... Many folks had that happen and few cars actually had a fuel/oil mixture light off & explode, typically the oil pan gets blown down & the intake bathtub gets pushed up....

In 72 Chrysler followed GM & Fords lead & added a charcoal canister with a purge circuit....

Auto Transport Service
Back