• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old car Smell.

aldal

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:09 AM
Reaction score
Next fall I will be removing all of my interior (except the headliner) to have frame connectors, torque boxes and mini tubs welded in. My question is....the car currently has a slight case of that old car musty smell but my interior including the carpet is in really good condition. I would like to reuse it all (except maybe the padding under the carpet). I need advice on what steps to take to rid the car of that old car smell or does the old carpet need to go? Thanks for any advice you can give, Al :confused:
1965 Interior 001.jpg1965 Interior 002.jpg1965 Interior 003.jpg

Febreze?? I kinda like that old car smell so long as it isn't the nasty moist smell.

Febreze?? I kinda like that old car smell so long as it isn't the nasty moist smell.

I don't mind it either as long as it's not musty basement. I wonder if just being in the open would help the stuff. Good dry ventilation, maybe a good shampooing.

I guess it's not that bad and I do have the garage heated and keep it aired out to avoid moisture plus the windows are cracked and baking soda in open containers placed in the car. I guess maybe a good cleaning when I have it all out will help.

Did you ever smell you steering wheel? Everything is new in my car rug, headliner, seat covers and foam, package tray and painted floor still smells like an old car. I really don't mind it though because that's what it is.

I love that "Old Car" smell, but my bride..., not so much. She says that my Road Runner smells like 1969. :icon_super:

Looks And Smells Like A 65 coronet, Just Like A Summers Eve:puke:
Mine was the same way

I love that "Old Car" smell, but my bride..., not so much. She says that my Road Runner smells like 1969. :icon_super:
69, the year so fine. It was a good year for me and there's not a thing wrong with the way it smelled....or tasted! :D

Everything has to go, seat foam, Head liner, sun visors, carpet and underlayment. Everything, also jute packing over seat foat in front and seat foam and jute in back seat.

I'm with the other guys I like the old smell to. I wonder if you ran your ac with fabric softener sheets over them would help.

My Charger had a slight funk to it. Last winter I recovered the front seats with new foam. Sprayed the rear seats to match the fronts. New carpet was on the list too but funds ran short so I used the same SEM color coat on the carpet. That made a huge difference in the smell, almost like new. Was just in the car last Sunday, still smells "fresh".
I think if you pull the interior and get it aired out you'll be fine. Maybe a good cleaning once it's all out.

Yup....as the interior ages and 'collects' a mix of road grime, skin, body moisture and other 'stuff', it can become pretty funky and any leaks from washing or when it rains just adds to it. I can't believe my yard cart (95 Dakota) doesn't stink to high heaven because I never clean that thing plus my dad was a heavy smoker and it reeked with that for a long time when I got it in July of 98. However, it does get aired out quite often when I leave the windows down for days at a time lol

Thanks.

Thanks for all the great information guys....this really is a fun and informative site to belong to.:icon_thumright:

Last edited:
Don't forget door panels, defrost ducts, and air vents. They all hold dirt and 'stuff' from years gone by. Unless they are taken apart and cleaned as well, you will be re-introducing the smells each time you open the vents, turn on the defrost, etc.

The'63 has a sent all it's own...like my grandpa's old Buick:thinker: .....my kid said it reminds him of his childhood....:wave:
It's that open fuel system....gas smell...I think...:shruggy:
new cars have closed system and you do not smell it.

?:sSig_nicethread:

You got that right Sonny. That smell transports me back every time. When I did my interior(carpet and seat covers) I reused the foam on the passenger front seat and sprayed it with Lysol liberally and let it dry good. I also replaced the jute on all the seats and it made a big difference. Good luck.

I have heard of using charcol & baking soda to absorb the smells but not sure if it removes it.

Strange how the olfactory sense is strong enough, that with just a whiff, we can be immediately transported back to a specific point in time.
I love the old car smell, but I also like to crack open a 50 year comic and breathe in the past....

Next fall I will be removing all of my interior (except the headliner) to have frame connectors, torque boxes and mini tubs welded in. My question is....the car currently has a slight case of that old car musty smell but my interior including the carpet is in really good condition. I would like to reuse it all (except maybe the padding under the carpet). I need advice on what steps to take to rid the car of that old car smell or does the old carpet need to go? Thanks for any advice you can give, Al :confused:
View attachment 179307View attachment 179308View attachment 179309

I pull everything out and lightly pressure wash after soaking in laundry soap and drip dry in the sun ... it's personal preference on the smell, fragrance free to las Vegas hooker depending on the brand and I will use windshield washer fluid as a final rince to help things dry faster. The smell of mustyness is mold so it's better to be rid of it. Scotch guard will keep the mold at bay... you will know it when you find it. Same for the seat foams soak and rince till the water is clear then air dry

Auto Transport Service
Back