• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old mags and lugs

Robertop

Local time
11:51 AM
Reaction score
Guys: here are the mag wheels that came with my 69 hemi bird when I bought it in January 1970. Does anybody know how old are they? They have been refurbished and painted, of course. I am including a photo of one original lug, also redone. I would like to know if another old timer might have a number of old lugs that might contain similar items in whatever condition that I might buy. By the way, I would need them right handed. Thank you, guys.

IMG_0140.JPG

IMG_0148.JPG

IMG_0150.JPG

Original torque thrust came out in 1963, so they can't be older than that. I thought they were torque thrust "D" (came out in 65, to clear corvette brakes) but my research says the would have the D cast into the back.
15"x8 1/2 was the biggest size originally offered.
Notice it specs aluminum, there were real magnesium tt available too, for a few years.

I like the paint treatment they did on them, their aluminum of course but the gold cast is a throw back to the Dow 7 coating that the magnesium wheels would have gotten to protect them for shelf-life. Guys liked the look so much that they would put the Dow 7 on all the time, better looking then dull gray after a week or so.

I like the paint treatment they did on them, their aluminum of course but the gold cast is a throw back to the Dow 7 coating that the magnesium wheels would have gotten to protect them for shelf-life. Guys liked the look so much that they would put the Dow 7 on all the time, better looking then dull gray after a week or so.
Actually, I painted the spokes, that ,after cleaning, were aluminum gray. In the past I noticed that dust from disc brakes made the wheel spokes darker with a tinge of yellow color, so I painted with an old spray can of paint I have.

If you haven't found the lug nuts yet -
Measure the shank depth and OD.
Look up "Lug Nut King" on Ebay and see what he has or send him a message.
I've used them a few times for different lug nuts and they always had what I needed at a good price & quick shipping.

Auto Transport Service
Back