• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old Mopar Guy - Rear Window Question

Mr Mopar CO

Local time
12:23 AM
Reaction score
Hello from Tennessee. I've been driving and working on Mopars since my Dad drove home a new red, 1970 Plymouth Barracuda with a 318 and 3 speed manual transmission.

I have three Mopars left:
1969 Dodge Super Bee - 440 six pack, 4 speed, 4:10 dana
1971 Dodge Challenger convertible - 440, automatic
2016 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack - 392, 6 speed manual

I have a question. When I restored the Super Bee, I pulled the back glass, cleaned out the window channel and repaired the rust spots in the corners. When they reinstalled the rear glass, they didn't fill the lower channel with the black sealant. The window is sealed perfectly, but the lower chrome window trim doesn't lay flat and any water on the car will sit in that lower channel. I always use compressed air to blow out the water.

What black sealant should I use to keep water out of the rear window channel and help keep the rear window trim from sticking up a little?

Thanks!

SuperBee.jpg

It’s better to leave that channel empty so it can dry and not collect and hold water anywhere.

And how is filling that channel up going to pull the trim in tighter to the glass?

They probably used 5/16” instead of 3/8” to set the glass. Not a big deal.

Welcome from North Florida !!!
Nice Bee.
The trim on my 69 Coronet 440 is the same way from whoever had the back glass out.
I just blow out the water in the corners. I think this is common on these cars.

Welcome from Missouri!!

Thank you all for your comments. It's good to know that I'm not the only one with this issue.
Running07203.jpg

Hello from Tennessee. I've been driving and working on Mopars since my Dad drove home a new red, 1970 Plymouth Barracuda with a 318 and 3 speed manual transmission.

I have three Mopars left:
1969 Dodge Super Bee - 440 six pack, 4 speed, 4:10 dana
1971 Dodge Challenger convertible - 440, automatic
2016 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack - 392, 6 speed manual

I have a question. When I restored the Super Bee, I pulled the back glass, cleaned out the window channel and repaired the rust spots in the corners. When they reinstalled the rear glass, they didn't fill the lower channel with the black sealant. The window is sealed perfectly, but the lower chrome window trim doesn't lay flat and any water on the car will sit in that lower channel. I always use compressed air to blow out the water.

What black sealant should I use to keep water out of the rear window channel and help keep the rear window trim from sticking up a little?

Thanks!

View attachment 1140810
Are you missing some of the Trim pegs?

Auto Transport Service
Back