• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old School traction...before Cal Tracs

Mike Gaines

Local time
6:04 AM
Reaction score
Long before Cal-Tracs to get traction we had to alter the wheelbase.

This was my car displaying all the traction it needed AFTER the altered wheelbase.

This picture was taken in 1965 BEFORE I installed the tube front axle and moved the engine back 26".

Now...all you gotta do is spend $1000 bucks for Cal Tracs bars with Mono Leaf springs, and correct shocks to get traction.

I had to spend almost every day in my shop for a month doing body work altering the wheelbase to get the same results....and cut up a perfectly good race car. lol

Attachments

• 1965 Launch.jpg
    1965 Launch.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 365
Ladder bars are cheaper and imo, work well if not better plus, you can actually make your own bars. All you have to do is look at what was going on in the early 60's. Seems like very few people build anything for themselves in this new age of 'buy it and stick it on' parts we have now.

well yes...it's easier to buy and install..and can be cheaper depending on the skill level of a person doing a home made part..I don't have a cow but I drink milk

wow MIKE, glad to see your still at it. its getting purty tough on me but I keep trying. now, surely c-tracs cant do what the altereds could or even close? even though they are better than the old lakewoods I ran on my 68 belv./rr.

well yes...it's easier to buy and install..and can be cheaper depending on the skill level of a person doing a home made part..I don't have a cow but I drink milk
Sure it's easier but more costly....but it seems that many have the expendable income to throw parts at their cars. I ain't bitching about it but it's something I don't do.

Mike, is that a cigarette in your mouth?
Thought the same thing but didn't ask lol

But! Mike that 65 is worth more than a run of the mill 65 Ply. race car! If it's still around and complete?

But! Mike that 65 is worth more than a run of the mill 65 Ply. race car! If it's still around and complete?

I have tried over the years to locate that car. I sold it in 1969 to a fella from Burlington Vermont.....no success in tracking down any infor on the fate of that car.

And yes...that is a cigarette in my mouth...It was 1965 and EVERYONE smoked....lol...but I quite smoking long ago.

Also in the 60's the tires were not to good as thats why many ran the AWB cars to get that weight over the rear tires. Oh and dont forget some guys still just use SS springs today also. Ron

I have a stock front suspension with adjustable shocks & S/S Springs out back with long drag shocks & a Snubber and it hooks great at the track...and on the street.

Here is a Video of a buddy in NY that had a 500 cu in stroker with the same mopar setup i run and drove the car on the street tell me it don't hook after seeing the Video

https://youtu.be/0iQKCnaPsOU?list=PL4BE4D395DA5E5479

https://youtu.be/JdvaSvqo0qA

Auto Transport Service
Back