old style steering wheel wrap

General Discussion

1. tpodwdog

tpodwdog Banned

Local Time:
    5:14 AM
    ok guys....and girls, try and follow me here because im not sure how to describe this or what its actually called.

think wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy back....back in the day....there was this stuff that you WRAPPED your steering wheel with. it was usually black with little holes punched in it. it was about 2 inches by 950 feet long (lol) and you actually WRAPPED your steering wheel with this stuff. it came with a plastic like cord that you WRAPPED around the stuff with the holes in it to keep it in place. the cord thingy was about 4,789.2 feet long...black in color...and got tangled all around the steering wheel as you put it on. when you were all done, you had to tie a few knots in it to keep it where you wanted it....WHATS THIS CALLED BECAUSE I CANT FIND IT ANYPLACE!
    i had this on my 1st 70 runner and the reason i did is because those factory steering wheels are so damn thin i want to thicken it up a bit....and i want to put it on my new roadrunner. :icon_flower:

signed:,,,,,puzzled in Pittsburgh

2. Al K

Al K Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    4:14 AM
    Add me to the list;I'd like to find one,in red,for the Sport Fury. Well;swap meet season is almost upon us. I've looked on Evilbay without success;there's got to be SOME out there!

3. MRHWS

MRHWS Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Just put one on the mother-in-laws car 2 weeks ago. Auto Zone sells them, although they are wider than the old ones to accomodate todays thicker steering wheels.
    Here is the description and part number if the link doesn't work.
    Dorman - Champ Steering Wheel Covers - Vinyl Black, 14" to 16" dia. Part No. 7-840

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...orman---Champ_22141699-P_N3177_A|GRP2064_____

Forgot about the size.... Here is a larger diameter.

Dorman - Champ Steering Wheel Covers - Vinyl Black, truck - 17" to 22" dia. Part No. 7-847

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...orman---Champ_22141703-P_N3177_A|GRP2064_____

• Like Like x 1
    • Pastortom1

Pastortom1 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      The proper term is "Lace-on" steering wheel covers.......Your best bet to find old styles and colors is to buy NOS by searching Ebay regularly.... I've scored a number of them for my trucks, but only have 'buckskin' colors.

I've seen the old ones offered in white and red, but didn't buy any.......

• Like Like x 2
      • Al K

Al K Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        Thanks,PastorTom! I just looked,and there's a number of covers out there. I wasn't typing in the correct words.

• tpodwdog

tpodwdog Banned

Local Time:
        Wow...thanx guys....i been looking for weeks!.

• Jonnyuma

Jonnyuma Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        Thats the kind of thing that you wouldn't even know was gonna be a bitch to find until you start looking for it. I found out recently when I was trying to find a leather lace-on cover and NOBODY had one. I've used em in the past (distant past, I guess) and done-up properly can look quite nice. Last one I bought cost a princely 10 bux or so. I cant believe a guy's gotta go through Ebay to find something that used to hang proudly on every impulse rack in every parts store in the free world. The new style one-piece jobs just aren't the same, and you dont get to have all that extra lace unwinding in a spiral and whipping you in the face during cool Rockford manuevers.

• BuckNeccid

BuckNeccid Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        Got a couple at AutoZone myself, I love em, ya GOTTA have one if you wanna feel back in the day :)

• tpodwdog

tpodwdog Banned

Local Time:

amen brother. i gotta give you a "whooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaa BUNDYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY for that one. nuthin' like nostalgia!! :headbang::thumbsup:

• stwheels

stwheels Active Member

Local Time:
        3:14 AM

Attached Files:

• Budnicks

Budnicks You Can Just Thank Me Later FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
        2:14 AM
        Nice Steer wheels Doug I've seen your stuff at DodgeCharger.com forum & in Mopar Action Mag, very nice work....

• stwheels

stwheels Active Member

Local Time:
        Thanks Budnicks! :icon_mrgreen::icon_mrgreen::icon_mrgreen: I have many customers who love the factory look but can't stand the skinny rims. Lace up covers are certainly one way to go and do give that vintage look and feel from the 60's 70's but I can make the rim any thickness and still have that original look.

You can find the old style lace up covers at places like Princess Auto and Canadian tire up here North of the border.

Here's a custom wheel I did for a 51 Merc. It's had the rim diameter made smaller and the rim thicker. It started as a early 60's Chevy wheel.

Doug Lepak
        The Steering Wheel Guy
        web site: www.stwheelz.com

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
        • tpodwdog

tpodwdog Banned

Local Time:
          WOWWWWWWWWWWW....thats cool dude....how you doo dat???? thats a nice thing your doing there but me personally,,,i am EXTREMELY apprehensive about altering anything on my road runner. its all stock and i want to keep it that way but what you can do there is bad ass!! keep up the good work my man !!

• Budnicks

Budnicks You Can Just Thank Me Later FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
          2:14 AM
          Stwheels you do some really nice work... I bookmarked your site, I need a 68 RR wheel done in the distant future, I'm low on funds right now...

• stwheels

stwheels Active Member

Local Time:
          Hey tpodwdog and Budnicks, Thanks so much! Whenever you're ready.

Feel free to drop me a line at : stwheels@shaw.ca if you have any questions or would like to discuss your wheel.

Here are a few more examples of my work ... I've done everything from 1920's Rolls Royces to 1980's Cadillacs and everything in between! :3gears:

Regards, Doug Lepak
          The Steering Wheel Guy
          www.stwheelz.com

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
        1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
          By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.