• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinion and assessment of newly chromed parts

In my opinion (I do not want to offend you!!!) most people do not know how much work it is to rechrome something like this. And as you can see on he picture, the rips are not perfect. Do people complain about it?

Used Charger gas cap rings almost always have pits in them & I have yet to find any 68 taillight that is free of pits.

Sand blasted:
747FB9B6-6B2B-47CD-A7F0-5E0373F81D59.JPG
IMG_0840.jpg
IMG_0842.jpg

First layer of copper:
IMG_0846.jpg
IMG_0848.jpg

Second layer of copper (Bright copper):

IMG_0849.jpg
IMG_0854.jpg

Now you need to grind and polish until the pores are gone. Of course you need to repeat the process of copper -> grind and polish.

Done (right):

IMG_2348.jpg

Hi FBBO,

Since I can chrome myself and do it for my own parts, I would like to know what you think about it.

As an example, I have here the trim ring for the gas cap.

What would be worth to you the original part?

How much work do you think that was?

Would you also have your original parts re-chromed or would you rather buy new?

View attachment 1426914

This is the original part from my 68 Charger.

I appreciate every answer.

Thank you!
Greetings from Germany
Yannik
I can take tell you this, our local plater has a service where they will fix anything, it will be perfect, and their is no estimate on price, whatever it takes it takes, no arguments allowed and they have people standing in line to pay it. If they do not know you you pay some up front. Some items there is no way to not lose detail and style lines when you do it. To do a new AMD 1970 roadrunner rear bumper is $125 to strip the chrome $3000 to block it, $250 for 2 rounds of copper, it might need 4, and $600 to chrome it, and it will be a mirror. So $5000 after buying a new bumper,
with perfect paint and glass ya got to have it. I have seen 57 Chevy bumpers at $12,000, and another 10-15k in the rest of the trim. You on the other hand cannot charge that much because you do not have a reputation, these guys do, and word travels fast to those with deep pockets. Sometimes after the part is ready to plate you have to drive it to Brainard Minnesota and hand deliver it as most shops can't plate the large stuff. I could not believe how much goes into a $500,000 build beyond money.

Absolutely true. Thanks for this answer.

What do you mean with 3000 to block it?
From bare steel they block sand the bumper as smooth as they can get it so it is not wavy, start with 80 grit and finish with 320 on a block, just like bodywork on a car. Next they copper plate it and block it again, it can take 4-6 rounds of copper, every step is done with long sanding blocks, never power tools until it is perfect. I am not sure of the final grit paper on the copper, then it is final polished. Some bumpers are not good enough to do.

Rechromed original is the way to go whenever possible IMO. Watching the guys work over my potmetal on my 64 for rechroming, I was pretty happy to pay what I did. Finicky, time consuming work.

Of course the most you have to do is the prework. On those old parts you can no just strip the chome and rechrome it. You need to strip all the copper, nickel, chrome and start from the beginning.

I can upload and show you some pictures how I do it.
Yes please, I'd like to see your pictures of how you do it. Thanks for those you have already uploaded.

haha its not at home. I am working as a plater. So the only thing I need to spend is my time.
OHH.. that makes more sense :) Plating here in the states is insanely expensive

Are you actually PChrome spray the part? Or are you actual copper, nickel, chroming and then buffing?

Looks great.
Have you used PChrome? I was thinking about buying a kit and trying it out. Was wandering if it's worth trying?

Have you used PChrome? I was thinking about buying a kit and trying it out. Was wandering if it's worth trying?
I have no experience with this. If it is that what I think then it is not real „chrome“. It is just silver what reacts with the edited surface. Correct me if I am wrong.

I saw PChrome used on the show called Bitchin rides. It turned out really nice.

It reminds me of spray on hair. A basic set-up can run over $20k ... and it still isn't UV stable so it will oxidize much quicker than any real triple plated chrome job. After a few years of exposure it looks like dull aluminum.

No, I didn't buy it and wouldn't. But every few months the SpectraChrome and FutureChrome people call me to see if I changed my mind. I expect I never will. The lack of solid, time-tested UV stability is the deal killer.

I have no experience with this. If it is that what I think then it is not real „chrome“. It is just silver what reacts with the edited surface. Correct me if I am wrong.
I believe your correct. I was looking at one of their hobbyist kits, more for doing plastic than metal. My 63 fury has a plastic gauge cluster and the chrome on the bezels are starting to peel. I thought this did a better job than paint for plastic.

Auto Transport Service
Back