• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

opinion on auto lifts

Pops1967GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:35 AM
Reaction score
Looking for a simple solution for lifting auto other than normal floor jack & stands. Height & space limits in a 2 car garage setup without to much cost.

I went down this road about 10 yrs ago, even pondered ripping the ceiling out and installing a lift! Put the nix on that scheme and rented a bay with a lift in it and lots more room!

I am not sure what you are asking but, I wanted a 4 post lift in my shop and didn't have the overhead clearance to make it worth it.I had ceiling trusses and thought of raising the entire roof. Instead I converted the existing roofline to a rafter and collar tie set up. Got a Greg Smith lift and used that as a platform to help with the conversion.

Attachments

• IMG_0140.jpg
    IMG_0140.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_0150.jpg
    IMG_0150.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 271
With winter coming I wanted to do a few projects.( example-under coating removal will take time) It's just a pain underneath with low clearance. Trying to keep expenses low with not renting lift & in my time frame.

I went through the same thing with ceiling height considerations. I bought a Kwiklift. Not as convenient as a real lift but it's a lot better than jack stands. You drop the the back of the ramps, drive on, then jack up the ramps (at a connector bar), the drop the back legs. It's a nice sturdy unit and I feel very safe under it. I kept checking eBay and Craigslist for a used one and did buy one off Craigslist. Saved about $700 buying it used.
lift16a.jpg

Another option is a lift called a MaxJax. That unit lifts from the sides. It can be unbolted from the floor and stored when not in use.

Auto Transport Service
Back