• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Optima Battery Question

Frustration

Local time
10:22 AM
Reaction score
We have run an Optima Battery in our '63 Max Wedge Plymouth for years. In fact, originally we ran a red top, and currently a yellow top. The car is 12.2:1 compression. The yellow top we currently run seems to need a charge after every pass. The battery will bleed down to 25% life after a trip down the track. This car uses an alternator that is functioning properly. Though the yellow top still starts the car, I need more reliability, and don't feel it should need to be recharged after every run. What battery would you suggest for this application? I read an article in "Dragzine" about the choices, and it seems that we need another yellow top. Also, the batteries are sold by Cold Cranking Amps, and Group number. What group number would I need? Thanks in advance. Happy Friday!

I recently swapped out my 2 Optimas for one XS 16 volt. Night and day difference in cranking. I wish I had done it years ago. Swapped the voltage regulator for a 16 volt. Had to lower the fuel pressure. That was all it took.
Doug

Optima quality control has gone to crap since they moved their facilities to Mexico. Used to run them in race applications for years then swapped every one of them out.

I run Optimas in all my cars except my Viper and I have both Red and Yellow tops, while I like them generally it seems like when they start to go south they take a turn straight down. There are much better batteries out there like the XS. I like the Optima's because they are easy to find, but I have had a couple that down right sucked. I have one or two that have lasted well over 10 years, but I have had one or two that lasted 3. I will say this, I never owned an Optima charger until I watched a guy on Youtube do a test with the charger, I bought one right after that and I can say 100% that the charger works far better than any other for Optima batteries. I have brought 2 dead Optima's back to life with the Optima charger when the other 3 or 4 chargers I have would not.

Auto Transport Service
Back