• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original A/C hoses

RT SE 440

Local time
6:11 PM
Reaction score
Hello all just wondering has anyone ever repaired the original hoses by just replacing the ferrules & hoses as i'm not sure how these hoses are put together as all the video's i see they cut the steel lines then braze the ferrule with barb ends on but i found this video were he just cuts the ferrule & not the pipe exposing the barb on the pipe are the b body lines the same as these or are they different thanks ahead.

My question is are you trying to make them look OEM?

I think I've heard that original AC lines can be restored by shops if the original fittings are good, which they use to create replacement hoses with by replacing the rubber hose part of the lines. It's not something I would want try on my own with a rare original line. If just trying to repair a line on a driver, and on a budget, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try.
Some lines like big block E body AC lines are becoming unubtainium, I assume some B body AC lines are too? I would hope that it's possible to have them refurbished if you at least have damaged original lines to use, but I don't think it's worth the risk of wrecking it trying to do oneself with a rare line.

Hello guys thanks but i found my answer today the barb ends do have to be replaces as the new type hose won't seal the the old type barb ends so they need to be cut and braze welded on

Hello all just wondering has anyone ever repaired the original hoses by just replacing the ferrules & hoses as i'm not sure how these hoses are put together as all the video's i see they cut the steel lines then braze the ferrule with barb ends on but i found this video were he just cuts the ferrule & not the pipe exposing the barb on the pipe are the b body lines the same as these or are they different thanks ahead.

The end of the high pressure hose blew apart on my Dart. I took it off and to a local radiator shop that also does A/C. He was able to make a new hose with a mix of one new and one original fitting.

The end of the high pressure hose blew apart on my Dart. I took it off and to a local radiator shop that also does A/C. He was able to make a new hose with a mix of one new and one original fitting.
That is what I was thinking can be done and still look decent. However he wants it to look OEM.

That is what I was thinking can be done and still look decent. However he wants it to look OEM.
It depends on what kind of crimp was used. You may not be able to duplicate that.

Are your hoses bad or are you just wanting to have them restored? It is possible to replate the hoses and re detail them without taking them apart or destroying them.

found a guy today who is doing my hoses he said using the old barb on the original pipe work isn't an issue done loads of them with no issue so good news if anyone is thinking of replacing the hoses only difference will be the ferrule crimp is slightly different but hey I'm pretty happy with that

found a guy today who is doing my hoses he said using the old barb on the original pipe work isn't an issue done loads of them with no issue so good news if anyone is thinking of replacing the hoses only difference will be the ferrule crimp is slightly different but hey I'm pretty happy with that
Thats what I would do. However the hoses most likely will not be correct and have names and numbers that will make them look aftermarket.

Thats what I would do. However the hoses most likely will not be correct and have names and numbers that will make them look aftermarket.
That's the breaks unfortunately but there's always ways to get printed numbers off i have a chemical which i use in my trade which remove paint and marks off cloth that don't damage the cloth may also work on the hoses

Are your hoses bad or are you just wanting to have them restored? It is possible to replate the hoses and re detail them without taking them apart or destroying them.
The rubber hose has cracks and i'll be converting over to R134A gas so need to replace unfortunately

Sorry guys correction on those barbs turns out the hoses has no barbs and need to be weld on as originally thought, which was no problem as they are done but i decided to replate the steel pipe work which will be ready in a few days and then I'll return them back to the hose guy to re crimp the hoses back on

Auto Transport Service
Back