• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Bendix disc brake ?

SGTPaul

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:05 PM
Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm working on as close to a OEM restoration as I can do on my 68 charger R/T. I have an opportunity to buy a complete late 60's Bendix front disc brake set-up for what I think is a reasonable price. Complete = booster, master, lines and hoses, spindles, rotors, calipers, proportioning and metering blocks. The guy said he pulled it from his 69 charger 500 in the late 80's and swapped it over to a early 70's b body disc brake system since he could not find parts for it. He said everything worked when removed 30+ years ago and has been stored in a dry place since then. The car had 60,000 miles on it when he pulled the system off it. I'm presuming rotors are at the end of their life and need replacing + probably old two piece set-up which vibrated from my research. Hoses and lines would be replaced as well but good for reference.

Questions are:
1. What would you set the value of this set-up at based on above description?
2. I found one piece replacement rotors and pads on year one's web site. Any experience and or comments on these? Are there other options?
3. I'm presuming the calipers, master, and booster will need rebuilding. What sources are available for this service? I'm in the Detroit area.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Those have been quite expensive in the past, but in my opinion were the best brakes out there for a good while. On an OE restoration, original parts are a must. I paid $700 for a nice but needing rebuilt booster alone about 10-12 years ago, but I was able to find the correct loaded calipers from a NAPA store. I don't think that will happen again.
Measure the rotors and see if they are in specifications before you replace something that may be good.
On the booster, master cylinder, and calipers a rebuild may be in order, but if possible test them before you make that decision. On the booster, I have used Booster Dewey, but I understand that he may no longer be there anymore. White Post Restoration was suggested to me by another forum member for a master cylinder restoration and they may do calipers also as it's sort of the same process.
All in all, the brakes are your most important safety device in a car, and they need to work well.

I have a Bendix disc brake set-up on my 1967 R/T. I have driven it 65,000 miles over 30 years. The booster failed a few years ago, but I was able to get it rebuilt locally. The rotors are still in good shape, and pads have lots of life left in them. I have found it to be a pretty trouble-free system.

Here having a Bendix disc brake set as well on my '69 Coronet R/T.
I recently re-sealed the master cylinder as it leaked but now all is good.
Brake pads are still available, though new rotors seem impossible aside from some chinesium steel knock-offs.
Next step would be to change to the later model knuckles and go with other calipers, rotors and the lot.

Contact mobileparts here on this forum, i bought a NOS seal kit from him for my master cylinder and he has more stuff so he might have some rebuild kits you might need.

Thanks all, for all the advise and info. Also heard from a friend to use http://calipersonline.com/ to get the calipers rebuilt. Probably will go forward with the deal. Awaiting for measurements from the seller on the rotor thickness. Will let you know where I land on this.

Went for it. One rotor is to thin to turn and the other is ok. Will see if I get two new or just the one. Arrived today. Got them for $400 + shipping. Thanks all!
PXL_20220115_160239729.jpg

Thats wrong master cyl for disc brakes

But overall a good buy for that money

Thats wrong master cyl for disc brakes

But overall a good buy for that money
That looks like the master cylinder on my '67 R/T with disc brakes. '68 and up had bail wire type covers.

That looks like the master cylinder on my '67 R/T with disc brakes. '68 and up had bail wire type covers.

I'll respectively disagree.

1967 and up disc brake cars used the bail wire master as you call it

brake_chart.jpg

Last edited:
More importantly, disc m/c's have a larger reservoir for the fronts.
Drum are the same fr/back

Sgt Paul,
I can help you with quite a bit of those parts --- NEW and N.O.S......
P.M. me, as per forum rules, if interested....
Yours, Craig.....

Auto Transport Service
Back