• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Mopar Oil Filter

Stumper

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:38 PM
Reaction score
I see some Mopar brand oil filters being sold online for the early cars. Anyone know which filter number would be correct for a 62’ 361 B motor? My TM shows - of all things, a Perolator PER-1…

Herb's Parts sez 67-71. Cose as I could find and what I have installed.

1851658-1.jpg

Lots of cars use the PER-1 and PH8A FRAM. Mopars, Fords and even 6 cylinder Toyotas! I think the older filters were black and I think somebody supplies a repo.

I get the black 'mopar' filters at the auto store that are likely the same as any just having a different label; I have to use the shorter filter since I have headers on my '63. Oil/filter gets changed about every 1000 miles.

WIX are black and high quality. Good enough for all but maybe show-poodle purposes. (I stole that term from someone else who used it to describe my use of Quantas restoration fan belts uselessness)

Do those cross to the Motorcraft FL1A or Fram PH8A? (PH43 would be the "short" version).
Going on my very old parts store job days here....

They should be the same. I'm not a purest when it comes to protecting the engine so it will always be the Wix for me. I wouldn't totally trust a reproduction oil filter. Maybe the one from Mopar Performance if it is authentic. If there would be a Foward Look decal out there to adhere to a black Wix, that would be the ticket!

They should be the same. I'm not a purest when it comes to protecting the engine so it will always be the Wix for me. I wouldn't totally trust a reproduction oil filter. Maybe the one from Mopar Performance if it is authentic. If there would be a Foward Look decal out there to adhere to a black Wix, that would be the ticket!
I bet there is LOL.
Same here, I only run Wix on the critters around here also - although I've been known to bounce between
the 51515 and the racing/XP version.

Auto Transport Service
Back