• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Our barn cat, do you have one?

SteveSS

Local time
6:34 AM
Reaction score
At the ranch, we get animals I call "Walk-ons." They come and go but they usually are not comfortable inside the house. The latest is Bobcat. He looks like a bobcat but with a long tail. He's never been neutered so he's just big and muscle-bound. He's got the thickest neck I've ever seen on a domestic cat. My huge Newfoundland dogs are afraid of him. So he shows up and he's very wild. He even bit if you were setting down a bowl of food for him. Time went by and he became more acclimated to humans. As of a few months ago I could pet him and he liked it but he would snag you with a paw claw if you tried to walk away. We are still careful around him but he's turned into the biggest lover I've ever seen. When I see him I give him a few pets and you can feel the scabs under his fur from getting into fights out in the world. His ears are really tattered.

Do you have any barn cats or barn cat stories?

At the ranch, we get animals I call "Walk-ons." They come and go but they usually are not comfortable inside the house. The latest is Bobcat. He looks like a bobcat but with a long tail. He's never been neutered so he's just big and muscle-bound. He's got the thickest neck I've ever seen on a domestic cat. My huge Newfoundland dogs are afraid of him. So he shows up and he's very wild. He even bit if you were setting down a bowl of food for him. Time went by and he became more acclimated to humans. As of a few months ago I could pet him and he liked it but he would snag you with a paw claw if you tried to walk away. We are still careful around him but he's turned into the biggest lover I've ever seen. When I see him I give him a few pets and you can feel the scabs under his fur from getting into fights out in the world. His ears are really tattered.

Got a pic of Mr. Bobcat?
20220109_172623-1.jpg

This is my barn cat Mr.Tippy. he's always getting into fights. He's a wanderer. but always returns for some snacks. He's a brute. He has a white tipped tail. And his eye is OK now.

Between the chipmunks, mice, moles, & squirrels, I could use a killer cat or 2 around my place!

My daughter is a vet nurse and was concerned about the thickness of this cat's neck. She sees cats every day at her hospital. She called her vet doctor and he said it was just testosterone. I think Bobcat enjoys terrorizing my 160-pound Newfoundlands.

13 of them at the moment and dont' need anymore. They're all outdoor cats and only 1 of them likes to come in the house. They all spend their days outdoors hunting and sleeping. If a new stray shows up it gets spayed or neutered as soon as i'm able to pet it or trap it. There's only one old tomcat i haven't been able to get my hands on. A young tomcat showed up a few weeks ago and i've got him trusting me enough to pet him when i put out some cat food. It's only a matter of time before he gets nutted. Having two tomcats around is bad news.

How about some pictures!:xscuseless:
:thumbsup:

My wife's cat Pig-Pig, is an indoor/outdoor cat. Back in the day he was a great mouser and had quite a few brawls with other strays, fox and even survived a coyote attack. He is now 17 and we are going to put him down later today. He is in bad shape and we don't want him to keep suffering.
1663093905779.png

My wife's cat Pig-Pig, is an indoor/outdoor cat. Back in the day he was a great mouser and had quite a few brawls with other strays, fox and even survived a coyote attack. He is now 17 and we are going to put him down later today. He is in bad shape and we don't want him to keep suffering.
View attachment 1342174

He had a good run. It's hard but you're doing the right thing. He'll be happy in cat heaven.

One of my feral shop cats, Trick or Treat - "Trix" for short showed up on Halloween around 10 years ago. Had to get her fixed cause she is a Ho !
Really a gentle cat for the most part except for all the birds,squirrels and field mice she supplements her diet with.

1663094121455.jpeg

View attachment 1342174
My condolences to your family sir, that is a beautiful animal, its nice that you were able to improve each others lives for 17 years.

We have a couple of indoor cats. We have had outside cats before but the hawks, coyotes and fox eat them as soon as they get a chance.

View attachment 1342174
Really tough when the time comes. Put Maizy down a month ago, still miss her. Last picture.
maisy.jpg

We are to far north and out in the wilds for cats to survive long as out door animals. Most end up as a meal for the any one of the bigger predators, fox, lynx, coyote, wolves etc...

We were away on holidays and my in-laws were looking after the house and the 3 cats and dog. Second day one of the cats darted out the door when the dog was being let out. It spent almost 2 weeks outside and survived much to our amazement...it had climbed up into my old Case Skid steer and had hunkered down on a couple old pairs of leather gloves to get away from the predators....was hungry and skinny but it made it!

Yep, i've lost 5 in 2 years to predators. Pretty sure it's coyotes and racoons. Have 3 that have been bitten across their backs but managed to escape and the bite marks were too big to be another cat. Saw a coon one night but it was gone in the brush and tall grass before i could get my gun. Shot a coyote early one morning last winter about 100 yards from the house. There are at least 3 different packs of coyotes in the hills surrounding me all within a mile. Place is thick with them anymore and i live within 1/2 a mile of the city/town limits. I suspect wolves that didn't used to be in the area have pushed the coyotes out of their old territory and closer to town.

Amazing how they have different personalities. We had two while our daughters were still at home. Cleo was dark brown with subtle black strips. Never liked to be around anyone; but my youngest. Other was white, named her Sugar, go figure she later acquired diabetes and gave her two shots a day. She was easy, just called her at shot time and she would arrive for the poke. My dad said should have named her Snow, lol. Loved that cat though as she was more like a dog wanting to get attention and sit by you. Tried to hang onto her for too long as she developed more illness and put her through surgery. One morning looked at her in such misery and knew I was an idiot for not letting her go sooner

This one came from mother in law's farm. He is a Flamepoint Saimese. He is a clown!

147615693_4038713419475230_2186166132288964275_n.jpg

250307408_4839844469362117_2376906498957555685_n.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back