• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Outlawing "Carolina Squat" in Virginia?

My insurance broker is currently switching my truck and Wife's car over to another insurer. Broker lady asked me if my truck was "lifted" and I said to her "no, because I have nothing to prove". She was laughing so hard she almost fell off the phone...

This one is fitting

4D7FD3E3-1CA4-4B7B-B86C-41A42468C06C.jpeg

Devil's advocate says-

The truck in the pic has a rear bumper height about the same as a 2WD and a front bumper height about the same as a 4WD.

I can't really see a bumper height issue there.

Devil's advocate says-

The truck in the pic has a rear bumper height about the same as a 2WD and a front bumper height about the same as a 4WD.

looking up in the sky and not down at the road may be the issue

This is stupidity at its finest !!

Headlight aim is the main issue. Same for "leveling kits" that are popular around here (Maryland). Jack up the front end? AIM THE HEADLIGHTS CORRECTLY.

Another issue with that much of an alteration, is crash safety. Airbags, passenger compartments, seatbelt retractor pendulums, and heavy components are designed to perform in a factory stance. Having nearly a foot difference from front to rear severly alters those devices ability to do their jobs, not to mention what the vehicle in question could do to the object/vehicle/person that it hits.

Want to stop the trend? Focus on inspection tickets, and lighting aim. Doesn't "target" the squat thing, but makes them do it correctly if they do it at all.

These are a major problem here. Head lights shoot straight up and they don't bother to adjust them. Lets toss a led light bar under the bumper so we can light up the road blinding oncoming traffic. They decided recently it's a problem, so you will get a $25 ticket.

Yes there are no safety inspections here. I am all for hot rodding but damn this fad is stupid.

Remember not long ago someone here had their Mopar impounded because of carbs sticking out or no hood, maybe was both. I think it happened in Fla?? Everyone was up in arms and thought the cop should have just gave a warning and let him drive away. So why is this "fad" different? Only because it's not a car you prefer to drive. Although I think this "squat" thing is ugly, dumb **** I can't go as far as say ban it, make it a law. Remember what goes around comes around.

Are you trying to say darkly tinted windows aren't a safety hazard ?!?!?

Loud pipes save lives - that's why I don't "watch" for motorcycles. If I hit them its their own damn fault for not having loud pipes !!

I guess it’s gonna depend on how you define “darkly” isn’t it?

The dark tint can make it hard for a Police officer to see inside. I actually agree that midnight black tint can be a safety issue.
These stupid looking trucks are also a safety hazard based on the reduced forward visibility.

I guess it’s gonna depend on how you define “darkly” isn’t it?

I don't know how you could measure the degree of tint in a traffic stop. I my opinion any side window tint should be illegal unless they devise a way it can be measured. Imagine a "hit and run" where you right beside the car ... but you can't see the driver. While this may be an extreme case, similar situations arise daily. And if you can't see in, the occupants' visibility is just as bad looking out - this I know for a fact - I once tinted windows in a Dakota I owned - figured it'd look cool on a black truck - visibility any time after dusk was virtually ZERO.

I don't know how you could measure the degree of tint in a traffic stop. I my opinion any side window tint should be illegal unless they devise a way it can be measured. Imagine a "hit and run" where you right beside the car ... but you can't see the driver. While this may be an extreme case, similar situations arise daily. And if you can't see in, the occupants' visibility is just as bad looking out - this I know for a fact - I once tinted windows in a Dakota I owned - figured it'd look cool on a black truck - visibility any time after dusk was virtually ZERO.
I seem to remember discussing this with a friend a while back. 17% tint (or something like that) was max allowable shading. I was told they (?) have a hand held meter similar to one that measures ambient light for picture taking that is held up to the glass. Could all be BS.
I had the same experience with poor visibility when driving that friend's tinted windowed car.
There was talk that started around here a few years ago about forbidding NYS registered inspection stations from passing vehicles with tinted front row side glass. I don't think it was ever enacted as I see many people still have the blacked out windows.
I agree, definitely looks cool, especially on a black vehicle.

The dark tint can make it hard for a Police officer to see inside. I actually agree that midnight black tint can be a safety issue.
These stupid looking trucks are also a safety hazard based on the reduced forward visibility.
And its lends an invisibility to Dark drivers.....

There are simple handheld light scales that can be used to measure tint. Our state inspectors do it all the time. Very simple - hold it inside the glass, see what line you can read.

Same could be said about blowers and large hood scoops that can obscure the vision of the driver.

There are simple handheld light scales that can be used to measure tint. Our state inspectors do it all the time. Very simple - hold it inside the glass, see what line you can read.
Well, there you go.
:thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back