• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

package tray does not fit

bandit

Local time
3:26 AM
Reaction score
Bought a new package tray for my 70 Charger from mega parts but the thing is just slightly too big lengthwise. It bows in the middle when installed. The sides of the tray have vinyl trim attached so can't trim it. Has anyone ever run into this? Put some weights on it hoping it will relax.

it's probably an REM -roduct and for them close is good enough. one reason why I try to stay away from REM. OK I'll look at all posabilities, not having seen it. Could be simple or much more. Check for slightly tapered ends, sounds nuts but could be and that would be an easy fix. Now it is a new cardboard type material with new foam could be a tad long also look at your sail panels, have they relaxed from not having a board in there? Have you tried it with the back seat in? mine bowed a tad without my seat then I realized that it helped hold it down. But Yes I would put it in with the seat then cover it with a sheet and cut a couple of 1 X 3 boards that run nearly the whole leingth and evenly space a few bricks on them like 4 or 5. Hope for some high humidity and give it a week or so and I'll bet it will fit like a glove.
Best of luck.
P.S. if you have speaker slots cut you may see brown fuzz from when they cut them out. I thought it looked terrable so I got some fingernail file boards and sandes all that crap out then tuned it face down, weighted both sides of the cute to avoid over spray and shot some black puff can from the back. Looks gerat and no more brown fuzy slits in my tray.

Don't know about a Charger but on a 70 GTX there are two small clips that screw in toward the trunk behind backseat and they are "L" shaped so they catch the front edge of package tray to help hold down flat.

Thanks for the tips. I have the fuzzies too. I'll give that a try b/c i don't like that either.
It has the two "L" clip that hold it down in front but the bow is in the middle so they do not help. Might try to add another one in the middle if this doesn't work itself out from the weights. I'll put the seat back in tomorrow and see if it makes any difference.

I once bought something from them (little bracket that hold the cam eccentrics)
I also found it was too big had to cut 1/4 inch out.
Now have added them to my list of companies who i will NOT deal with.
Thought you would want to know that it wasn't just you or just one part

it's probably an REM -roduct and for them close is good enough. one reason why I try to stay away from REM. OK I'll look at all posabilities, not having seen it. Could be simple or much more. Check for slightly tapered ends, sounds nuts but could be and that would be an easy fix. Now it is a new cardboard type material with new foam could be a tad long also look at your sail panels, have they relaxed from not having a board in there? Have you tried it with the back seat in? mine bowed a tad without my seat then I realized that it helped hold it down. But Yes I would put it in with the seat then cover it with a sheet and cut a couple of 1 X 3 boards that run nearly the whole leingth and evenly space a few bricks on them like 4 or 5. Hope for some high humidity and give it a week or so and I'll bet it will fit like a glove.
Best of luck.
P.S. if you have speaker slots cut you may see brown fuzz from when they cut them out. I thought it looked terrable so I got some fingernail file boards and sandes all that crap out then tuned it face down, weighted both sides of the cute to avoid over spray and shot some black puff can from the back. Looks gerat and no more brown fuzy slits in my tray.
So... you prefer blonde or shaved ?

After a couple of days the weights took care of almost 90% of the bowing and like jessipup said, when I put the back seat back in, it hid the rest. Looks great now. Def distribute some weights on it for a few days while it is installed(without back seat) if your running into this problem. I ended up not needing the extra "L" clip.

Anyone have a pair of extra "L" clips??? I'm missing mine.
Thanks Ron

Just make some out of 18 gauge sheet metal. Cut them 1 1/4" wide X 2" and bend them at 5/8 of an inch drill holes and your done. If you want it to go clear across make it 57" by 2" and bend at 5/8 " holds the whole package tray that way, till you put the seat in.

Anyone have a pair of extra "L" clips??? I'm missing mine.
Thanks Ron

yeah I got a bunch of them. Same as interior panels I gotmine off ebay but I have even seen them at napa

Auto Transport Service
Back