• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint ideas for a 1971-72 Roadrunner/Satellite

renoman22

Local time
8:52 AM
Reaction score
I am looking for paint ideas for my 71 Satellite. I am thinking about a black cherry paint job. Anyone ever seen that on a Satellite or Roadrunner? Right now I am in the "looking and planning stage" so I am open to any paint ideas. I am not really interested in painting it with the traditional mopar paint schemes. I really like rat rods and "mean" looking paint jobs. I have been considering a satin or flat black but I have heard some negative things about the durability this type of paint. Let me hear some ideas or post some pics!

I really like this one!!

Attachments

• 4276a.jpg
    4276a.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 10,284
  • 4276.jpg
    4276.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 21,834
  • 4276e.jpg
    4276e.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 4,688
Lookin at the above car I have Black/Gold high lights.
Do not like the black bumper in front and chrome in back.
Both bumpers should be the same either black or chrome or in the case of my imagination.
Black body, Gold metal flake bumpers, and wheels.
Gold strobe strip, gold side maker light molding gold mirrors and door handle.
maybe no gold on maker light molding, mirror or door handle.
Call outs for horse shoe hood in gold.
Bubble for air grabber in Gold
Black all window trim.

Anyone photo shop my imagination?

take a look at this 2 tone job
black always looks good though

Attachments

• 29814920001_medium.jpg
    29814920001_medium.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 6,504
  • DSCF0886.jpg
    DSCF0886.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 3,424
Base/clear satin or flat paint jobs just as durable as gloss finish as long as the flattening is done with the clear coat. If it's not sealed, it will draw moisture and fail.My .02

take a look at this 2 tone job
black always looks good though

I do like that black!! Especially the blacked out grill. My car has a tone tone paint job now. It looks pretty good but I am not crazy about the tan/gold color. But I do like the two tone paint job. Here's is mine as it is.

Attachments

• websatellite.jpg
    websatellite.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 3,806
Base/clear satin or flat paint jobs just as durable as gloss finish as long as the flattening is done with the clear coat. If it's not sealed, it will draw moisture and fail.My .02

Ahhh. I didn't think about that. I guess it would be fine with a satin clear coat over it. I may just do that. I am debating on just how black to go. I am thinking of painting everything black. Even black bumpers and black rims. But I am worried it may be too much black. Anybody seen one like that? But I am still thinking a a black cherry paint job would look good too. Maybe even two tone it. With black on the bottom of the body line and black cherry on the top half. I would like to find a picture of a roadrunner or satellite with black cherry.

Here's a couple of Challengers I found that I really like the paint schemes. I think these would look great on a roadrunner body style. I really like the black and gold one.

Attachments

• dodge-challenger-srt8-392-penske-racing.jpg
    dodge-challenger-srt8-392-penske-racing.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 3,250
  • Cult-Challenger-SRT-8-6.jpg
    Cult-Challenger-SRT-8-6.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 3,230
  • Cult-Challenger-SRT-8-1.jpg
    Cult-Challenger-SRT-8-1.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 3,532
Is that sunroof on your car factory? I have a 1971 Sebring Plus (RR Clone) with what looks to be the same sunroof. I've always thought it to be aftermarket and didnt care for it too much but its there and cant do much about it. I have never seen another car with it.

Is that sunroof on your car factory? I have a 1971 Sebring Plus (RR Clone) with what looks to be the same sunroof. I've always thought it to be aftermarket and didnt care for it too much but its there and cant do much about it. I have never seen another car with it.

71-2 factory sunroofs had a power (iirc) sliding metal sunroof and 73-74 had metal manual crank sliding sunroofs. If its glass, its aftermarket.

Kind of bringing this back, but it's only been 10 days, so it's not soooo bad. lol.

Along the lines of your questioning, I've always wanted one of those year roadrunners in plumb crazy purple with satin black bumpers front and back, satin black go-wing and sating black rims.

I hate to get off subject, but I just have to say that I love the way your car sits in front and has a subtle lower profile (the gold/black satellite). I would love to see mine look like that in the future.... what did you do the the front/rear to get this look?

That green and black one that sicksatellite put in.. looks cool, but if you were to change the green with a metallic silver with the black, that would look good. Or the black cherry that you mentioned with the black. Other then that, Have you ever heard of Barry White and his GTX? he wanted a project so he went to look at a RR and the same guy had a Satellite that was in better shape so he bought both and turned into a GTX, The RR itself was salvageable but pretty bad, they did a show on TLC about the resto with it if you get a chance to see it.. Its real good.. Here is the finished GTX,
Barry27s_R-Runner_1972.gif

That green and black one that sicksatellite put in.. looks cool, but if you were to change the green with a metallic silver with the black, that would look good. Or the black cherry that you mentioned with the black. Other then that, Have you ever heard of Barry White and his GTX? he wanted a project so he went to look at a RR and the same guy had a Satellite that was in better shape so he bought both and turned into a GTX, The RR itself was salvageable but pretty bad, they did a show on TLC about the resto with it if you get a chance to see it.. Its real good.. Here is the finished GTX,
Barry27s_R-Runner_1972.gif

wow that is nice

wow that is nice

It sure is pretty! The satin black with the purple is AMAZING! I wonder if carrying it over to the bumpers and rims would be too much. Man I wish I was good with photoshop.

Paint job should match your personality. Are you out there! Normal, Reserved. Or do you like to blend into the back-ground, knowing exactly who you are! I want a flat-black stripe, on a gloss Black car, for my 'Bird!

Flames- too juvenile?

Anyone remember the February 1983 Hot Rod magazine cover? Black with flames.The car was a Satellite if I remember. I read somewhere that the guy who built this car still has it.

Attachments

• 71 roadrunner.jpg
    71 roadrunner.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 2,922
Anyone remember the February 1983 Hot Rod magazine cover? Black with flames.The car was a Satellite if I remember. I read somewhere that the guy who built this car still has it.

I'm showing my age. I actually remember that issue because you didnt see many 71-71 bodies featured in the car mags. I'm sure if I looked I may still have it.

Black on Black

Attachments

• 100_1257.JPG
    100_1257.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 3,818
Auto Transport Service
Back