• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint or Interior first??!!

harleydodgeman

Local time
6:07 AM
Reaction score
I am working on a 64 plymouth fury and need some opinions from people who have completed a car before.

Right now the major bodywork is complete with the car "roughed in" in primer.
The underside, inside,trunk, and engine bay is painted and the drivetrain is complete. The interior is completely gutted and everything will be replaced.

My question is what would be a better approach, get the interior finished first or paint the car first? Part of me wants to do the interior first so that i can crawl around without fresh paint everywhere, and also without any glass installed.

The other part says i should paint the car so that i dont have to tape a bunch off or chance getting black overspray all over my new red interior!

Has anyone had any experience with this and might be able to give me advice in order not to screw up one or the other? This is my first car so i just want to try and do things in the best order if you know what i mean.

thanks

IMHO I would do paint first, I think it's less of a hassle.

Think of it this way, would you really want to be pulling interior pieces out over new paint or primer?

I paint the car first.You will be wet sanding and polishing.You don't want to get any residue from this on the interior.You are going to have to assemble the trim and trim panels any way.I like to paint,wet sand,polish,wash the car completely and assemble.

I paint the car first.You will be wet sanding and polishing.You don't want to get any residue from this on the interior.You are going to have to assemble the trim and trim panels any way.I like to paint,wet sand,polish,wash the car completely and assemble.

X3:headbang:

Auto Transport Service
Back