• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Painted console top plate

Skatpak

Local time
9:54 AM
Reaction score
I didnt take any befores, forgot to but it was in ruff shape. Polished the aluminum and repainted the black. Now its ready to go back on.

20211120_183414.jpg 20211122_194758_HDR.jpg

When I did my 5 speed conversion, I sandblasted my top plates and painted them matte black.

SST 325.jpg
SST 644 gpabn.jpg
SST 646.jpg

I love chrome but to me, this looks better than the stock setup.

Is that a C body top plate? Asking the question because of the lack of ribs.
It was a '67 top plate but I don't know if it was from a C body. I bought it from a member here.

SST 330.JPG
SST 332.JPG
SST 337.JPG

It seemed like the same "pot metal" material as my original 1970 plates.

I didnt take any befores, forgot to but it was in ruff shape. Polished the aluminum and repainted the black. Now its ready to go back on.

View attachment 1227087 View attachment 1227088
What paint did you use to redo your top plate? Did you sand it all down first? I have some paint that chipped off and it looks like a really shiny metal underneath, didn't know if this would take to regular spray can metal paint?

What paint did you use to redo your top plate? Did you sand it all down first? I have some paint that chipped off and it looks like a really shiny metal underneath, didn't know if this would take to regular spray can metal paint?
self etching primer. than just a satin rustoleum, than a clear coat.

Auto Transport Service
Back