• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Painting the dash

RHW2

Local time
5:43 AM
Reaction score
I'm planning on painting the dash on my 64 Belvedere and am having trouble locating any info on how to remove it. Anyone here removed theirs and can share some advice? I've had the cluster out and also installed a new under dash harness but now it time to repaint. Thanks in advance....

If its like later B-bodies, the windshield has to come out.

If its like later B-bodies, the windshield has to come out.

I know on the later B Body the windshield has to come out but I can't seem to find any info on the 64s

Yes, the windshield will need to be removed to remove the screws at the front edge of the dash. IIRC from my 63, they are under the WS gasket. Hope this helps. ruffcut

On my 65, there are screws along the windshield edge of the dash and a bolt on the lower left and right sides of the dash.
I installed my dash while the windshield was out.
dash 6.JPG

dash 23.JPG

IMG_0699.JPG

Yes, the windshield will need to be removed to remove the screws at the front edge of the dash. IIRC from my 63, they are under the WS gasket. Hope this helps. ruffcut

Yes that does help. I may take a look at painting it while it's in the car. Not sure I want to remove the windshield

For what it's worth, I just r&r my dash without removing windshield.

20210927_201521.jpg

Mine is a 62, removed the red interior trim around the windshield, then the dash has 6 bolts across the top, 1 on either side down by the kickpanel, removed the column or at least drop it, and remove a few brackets from the firewall to dash.

The 6 bolts across the top, next to the windshield, are angled a bit so a small socket fit.

Not sure about the 64. Take the trim off and see, maybe there is at least room for a ratchet socket.

20210924_222733.jpg

Mine is a 62, removed the red interior trim around the windshield, then the dash has 6 bolts across the top, 1 on either side down by the kickpanel, removed the column or at least drop it, and remove a few brackets from the firewall to dash.

The 6 bolts across the top, next to the windshield, are angled a bit so a small socket fit.

Not sure about the 64. Take the trim off and see, maybe there is at least room for a ratchet socket.

View attachment 1212309
Like he said, I have a 64 Bel. Yes 66 up is different.

You can leave the windshield in to remove the dash. I R&R’d my dash in my 64 Polara 2 years ago. The bolts are a bear to get to but it can be done.

You can leave the windshield in to remove the dash. I R&R’d my dash in my 64 Polara 2 years ago. The bolts are a bear to get to but it can be done.

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info
On my '65 Coronet sedan, I removed my old dashboard and installed my new lightweight dashboard with the windshield in place. There are several thin panel/covers that must be unscrewed from the interior base of the windshield, two bolts on the lower sides, steering column unbolted and dropped, harnesses disconnected, so on and so forth. It's a good full days job or more to do it neatly and restoring stuff underneath there.

Auto Transport Service
Back