• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Painting

Ceedawg

Local time
7:31 AM
Reaction score
Can I paint sealer right on the bare metal or does it need a primer

Might depend on what you are using for a sealer. Some people use epoxy primer for a sealer and you could spray it on clean metal of course. But what paint manufacturers usually call sealer - no, I don’t think it should go on bare metal.

Read the spec sheet for the product you have. It will tell you everything you need to know.

Can I paint sealer right on the bare metal or does it need a primer
I would use epoxy on bare especially blasted metal, southern polyurethane is reasonable and gives you the protection you need.

If you read the mixing instructions for epoxy primers they usually require only the hardener or catalyst. But to use as a "sealer" they say to add reducer as well.

Personally, as a non-professional, I fail to see the difference other than the latter will be thinner in the gun and probably provide a thinner coat. The epoxy "primer" provides a good moisture barrier for bare metal but I thought "sealers" were more for shooting over body fillers to seal those and match the primered surfaces.

to use as a "sealer" they say to add reducer as well.

Personally, as a non-professional, I fail to see the difference other than the latter will be thinner in the gun and probably provide a thinner coat.

thinner film and much faster flash off........seal it and go to lunch, come back and start painting

epoxy used as a sealer is also an awesome adhesion promotor

Here it is, what do you think

image.jpg

Instructions are on the label. You need a catalyst for that, do you have it? The answer to your question is Yes, it can be used over bare metal.

That will work, make sure you use a paint respirator, stuff will screw you up.

At least a good mask !!
Yep have all the good stuff, dummy me I could of saved all the trouble if I’d read the front label to see that it said epoxy lol

keep it warm during drying
As soon as I get the Duster off the rotisserie the 66 goes on, Should be warm outside by then. Shop is heated too. i had bought this with the understanding from the paint guy that this sealer was to be used under the final silver paint. Now I’m glad I can do the fender and hood with this material, didn’t like the yellow epoxy primer, seemed two soft

As soon as I get the Duster off the rotisserie the 66 goes on, Should be warm outside by then. Shop is heated too. i had bought this with the understanding from the paint guy that this sealer was to be used under the final silver paint. Now I’m glad I can do the fender and hood with this material, didn’t like the yellow epoxy primer, seemed two soft

if it sands easy, you can use it for everything.........unless the tech sheet states otherwise

the can says epoxy primer....epoxy primers I have used can be used as a sealer, usually by adding reducer (read the tech sheet)...... are we talking about a sealer coat just prior to painting? or sealing up some bare metal and / or body work?........ "primer"? "sealer"? same **** pretty much

some epoxies fill and sand easily and eliminate the need for a filler primer....... I've never used that particular epoxy

the can says epoxy primer....epoxy primers I have used can be used as a sealer, usually by adding reducer (read the tech sheet)...... are we talking about a sealer coat just prior to painting? or sealing up some bare metal and / or body work?........ "primer"? "sealer"? same **** pretty much

some epoxies fill and sand easily and eliminate the need for a filler primer....... I've never used that particular epoxy
I was looking for a top coat to shoot over the ‘work’ I have done to make sure it looks smooth and ready for the final coat with no prepping just shoot the final single stage paint. So if I thin it out a lot it doesn’t need sanding?

I was looking for a top coat to shoot over the ‘work’ I have done to make sure it looks smooth and ready for the final coat with no prepping just shoot the final single stage paint. So if I thin it out a lot it doesn’t need sanding?

you have to read the tech sheet...... there will be a "window" of time where you can top coat it without sanding

Auto Transport Service
Back