• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Parking brake cable question

zigs

Local time
6:08 AM
Reaction score
Changed over axles , brake drums etc on my 64 Polara. Rear parking cables were shot. The drums are 67 Coronet. Replacement cables for the Coronet drums are 76" long where the Polara cables are 29" both sides. Now the question.
Being that the left side cable is always shorter , can I buy two short cables or can I just buy two Polara cables. Looking at the two backing plates I don't see any difference.

Last edited:
You could shorten yours and solder a new end lug
The Polaras are already short. The Coronet plates didn't come with cables. I think I can use new Polara cables. Really no difference in backing plates.

My 67 Coronet R/T has a short rear PB cable on the left side, and a long rear PB cable on the right side that snakes over top of the differential and driveshaft, and hooks to the main cable on the left side of the car. I think the 64 main cable is routed different. The 64 cables should work in the 67 brakes.

Last edited:
You may have the e brake bracket for later brake cables on driver's frame rail? My 65 Dodge did and used the long cables. You need to mount front to trans crossmember . I used a connecting nut with a jam nut 4th prc and a threaded to reach adjuster with the 2 cables. You need to support the threaded rod. Might be a better way but it works. 3rd pic front cable mount. 1 st and 2nd pic is of L bracket to hold up threaded rod. Used a plastic pipe with tubing clamp for rod to go through, no rattle. Had to fix adjuster that turned 90* after photo.
rb.jpg
rb.jpg
rb2.jpg
rb1.jpg

Went out and double checked. Old cable fits , I thought it should . 64 Polara uses short cable same size fits left or right. I have all the brackets. Thanks for everybody's input.

Auto Transport Service
Back