• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

parts swap

ISTEP

Local time
3:29 PM
Reaction score
Being new to the forum I had this on welcome wagon and am learning to post in the correct location

I need the knowledge from those in the know about Mopar's. I have a barn find 1967 coronet R/T w/440, 727. Just bought it and it would only roll backward, not forward. 8 3/4 3:23 Axle was removed discovered it had been run on bad bearings so long the race's were chewed up beyond repair. I have a 1967 satellite convertible parts car (318/727) and looks like an 8 3/4 axle also but with 2:73 gearing. Will the suregrip from the Coronet fit in the satellite housing?

The axle from the coronet has the number 89 on the hog head - and I understand that there are 3 - 8 3/4 axle number listed in parts guide but they seem to refer only to the length of the pinion gear.

It's not the length of the pinion gear but the size of it. The 89 is a tapered shaft with a larger bearing. The 41 and the 42 are smaller in diameter with the 41 being the smaller of the 3 but all of them are still damn strong. Your biggest concern is the 89 uses a crush sleeve for bearing preload while the other two units use shims and if you have to swap out the drive shaft yokes on the 89, it can be a bit tricky as you do not want to crush down the sleeve that's already to size. It takes a lot of force though and I've done several with good results but I've been messing with these things for 30+ years. The book says that you 'have' to install a new crush sleeve each time you change out a yoke but I've NEVER done that.

Auto Transport Service
Back