• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

parts washer solvent ?

jprather

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:09 AM
Reaction score
just broke down and bought a parts washer ( HF 20 gal) what do you use in your washer that wont break the bank ???

I've got one of them, too.
I just put in it, the Super Clean solution that i always have been using before i bought the Harbor Freight unit.
What it boils down to, is just personal preference what you want to use.
All the cleaning solvents due what they're supposed to do, is clean.
Your going to be getting everyone's else's preference what they use.
Just might boil down to cost, what you want to pay for gallons of stuff, in your area.
My .02 cents on the subject.

Edit.
I modified my unit with a remote filter kit, and put casters on it, so i can wheel it around
the garage, anywhere i want to.
Those casters cost some big bucks. $$$$$$$$
Think they were $18.00 each.
You can see all the Super Clean gallon jugs that i put in the parts washer.

Solvent Tank 002 (Small).JPG

Last edited:
I've got one of them, too.
I just put in it, the Super Clean solution that i always have been using before i bought the Harbor Freight unit.
What it boils down to, is just personal preference what you want to use.
All the cleaning solvents due what they're supposed to do, is clean.
Your going to be getting everyone's else's preference what they use.
Just might boil down to cost, what you want to pay for gallons of stuff, in your area.
My .02 cents on the subject.

Edit.
I modified my unit with a remote filter kit.
You can see all the Super Clean gallon jugs that i put in the parts washer.

View attachment 1383004
are you using this full strength or diluted ?

Same here. harbor freight. And i use mineral spirits. Works great! And the remote filter modification is in its future.

Full strength mineral spirits.

I’m lucky enough to work close to Northland oil. 15 years ago I bought a 55 gallon barrel of solvent and I still have quite a bit left.
If I have lots to clean I use my Renegade hot water parts cleaner, toss the dirty stuff in and come back 30 minutes later to clean parts.

I used to get a Five gallon can of solvent at Tractor supply.

I’m lucky enough to work close to Northland oil. 15 years ago I bought a 55 gallon barrel of solvent and I still have quite a bit left.
If I have lots to clean I use my Renegade hot water parts cleaner, toss the dirty stuff in and come back 30 minutes later to clean parts.
The big green machine?

Dyslexic, Pennsylvania Dutch, or both. Like me.

Tractor supply has parts washer fluid. 5ga at a time.

Tractor Supply has a good solvent in 5 gal buckets and cheap.

i have been looking at that, but none have it in stock, and it wont let me order it

I have seen that Northern Tool also sells 5 gallons

Auto Transport Service
Back