• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Patina?

hangn0ut

Local time
6:10 PM
Reaction score
Got caught with my cars outdoors. What a bitch. They are covered but, my mag wheels aged. Is this the "look" of weathered mag wheels? Lot of work to clean them up again....
20190221_175936.jpg
20190221_175753.jpg

Unless you want to stay on them religiously....leave them be.

I spray all my aluminum parts (even the polished stuff) with WD40 when they are stored. Even now it will help if you rub it in. Washes off with soap and water.
Doug

No, thats not salt pitting. Sure can see how it looks like it though. Thats the magnesium reacting to the moisture in the air. We have had several storms in the past couple of weeks and this is the result.
This is by far the most oxidized? they have gotten since I first shinied them up around 20 years ago. Thats the 12 spoke wheels. Only front wheels on this car since it was built in the early 70s.
The wd-40 thing, thats interesting. Never tried that. Have tried a bunch of other products. If I saw it I bought it. The best, by far, was called Outlaw polish. Of course it was outlawed by the epa I guess. Could not find it no more. Yeah, I will try the wd-40...

I always put WD-40 on my aluminum wheels in the winter while driving in salt/snow. It looks like hell, but when you wash it off in the Spring the aluminum is not pitted.

Also...be at least a little bit careful if you "scrub" the magnesium since magnesium bits can burst into flames. Never grind on magnesium...never, ever.

Have you thought about maybe putting a clear powder coating on the wheels?

I do my own polishing. I also collect the powder from the magnesium. I have a nice sized bag and know its potential. These were powder coated red before they were polished. After maybe a year the coating was lifting and bubbling off. I think they would go grey underneath a clear coat.

I will just let em go and see where they end up. Should be interesting. Polished looks better....Thanks for the tips everyone!

Auto Transport Service
Back