• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Performance Enhancements for a 318

Having done things to my poly over many years (before going all out with a rebuild) the dual exhaust, 4bbl carb, and sure-grip/ 3:23's (at that point) made a noticeable difference. I installed an electronic ignition and shift kit. Later I moved on to a complete rebuild, mild cam, bore out (.60), 340 rods, solid lifters, TQ, headers/3" X, eddy carb, 3:55's, etc. Result? Nothing to send a letter home about from what it was. This motor should never have been given 3" pipes (a dumb talked into move - my goof). The 3:55's aren't all that friendly when cruising at 65-70MPH. If I had a re-do I'd have left the 3:23's in it. And if I had another re-do...I'd have gone with the 360 crate I was pert near doing before all the cash I dumped in the poly.

After doing some further digging, I already have a 4bbl carb and performer intake on the car. It still has the stock exhaust manifold. Makes me wonder if the lack headers is causing the power to be bottled up.

I went with Hooker Comp headers and JEGS 2.5 exhaust kit and report back.

Auto Transport Service
Back