• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Performance update & new questions

cbodybob

Local time
10:39 AM
Reaction score
Ok I posted on here a few weeks ago that I had installed SS springs, much taller new slicks & a 3K stall converter. I have had the car out 3 different times & am very happy with the improved performance. Its a hoss off the line. And I still have some chassis/suspension tunning to try. My question. Now with the 3K stall convert I am launching at 1800 vs 1500 with the stock connverter. Same shift points of 4600 rpm but my trap RPM has dropped down from 4400 to 3900. This is mostly due to the much larger (taller) slicks. So I dont really have the funds to put more gear in it. I ran the calculators & it came up that I needed to put a 4.56 to get my trap RPM back. Just cant do that right now. So my question? If I where to advance the cam 4 degrees that should also help the car launch even harder as if it had more gear & should also raise my trap speed back up to take advantage of my engines toqure curve. I have already bought the Mopar cam keyways set. And I have a timming gasket set so I could do this for pratically nothing. Its a dedicaded 1/8 mile bracket 69 Satellite 318 /904 So am I right in advancing the cam?

if you advance the cam4 degrees make sure you have ample piston to valve clearance.

Is the car faster then before ? Ron

Ron it is off the line, but the drop in the trap RPM has made it a wash. The RPM's are climbing fast, just run out of track. To be honest at the 4400 RPM it was still climbing & pulling hard. So even with the 4.10 & 26 inch tire I think it was under geared. According to the calculator I now have a 3.68 gear with that 29 inch tire. The main thing is it consistant & I have won 4 out of the 6 rounds I have run. I'm not counting the first outing as that was just a shake down & test. Its a real good off the line. My lites have been awsome.

Auto Transport Service
Back