• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pertronix Conversion ?

dodge68charger

Local time
9:53 PM
Reaction score
I Have a 70 Charger and Want To Convert In To Electronic Ignition.

Does Pertronix Offer a Complete Kit For This and Is There Stuff Good. Thanks

Switched from stock components to Pertronix Ignitor ll system. Works great. I could tell in the idle, and set the idle to 700 rpm when engine reached 180 drgrees and it idles solidly now. Prior to the change, the idle @ 700 seemed weak and uncertain so I used to set to 800-850. I kept the sparkplugs at .035 and after a 1000 miles or so the plugs are absolutely looking normal. I do recommend this as a good improvement over stock points and condenser.

Been using their products for close to 20 years now. I have the Pertronix I in my 65 Hemi Car now. This is the 5th car,never a problem. READ the instructions and you will be fine.

Another happy camper here. I bought their kit and coil , bypassed my ballast resistor.
It been at least 6 years now same kit but I have swapped rotors and caps a couple times.

Yep. Me as well. No issues.

I Have a 70 Charger and Want To Convert In To Electronic Ignition.

Does Pertronix Offer a Complete Kit For This and Is There Stuff Good. Thanks

I sent my factory distributor to a PSMCDR guy in Detroit who owns a Sun distributor machine. He recurved my factory distributor with custom springs to match my camshaft and gear ratio. Anyway, when I expressed interest towards using a Pertronix kit he told me that he found on a majority of Mopar distributors that he's tested that they suffer from "spark scatter" with all three Pertronix kits. He said the guys at the races have found they go faster with the old school Accel 32oz. performance points which is what they use even though PSMCDR allows the Pertonix kits. So it may be that cold start and low rpm drivability could be better with a Pertonix kit but it's been a finding by some that the top end performance suffers.

Auto Transport Service
Back